What things are you old enough to remember?

I remember watching the little white dot on the tv screen and hearing the high pitch whistle when the tv was switched off.

I remember Mick Chirms being on the front page of the sheffield star which was reporting the riot in longley park. (what year was that?)

I remember my nan rolling dough then poking her finger into the centre of each of her home made breadcakes then laying them in front of the fire before covering them with a tea towel.

I remember the ridleys spearmint machine that hung on the wall outside of Kays sweet shop, or was it a wool shop? that's now the carpet shop near southey library.

I remember davidsons hardware shop at the bottom of southey hill. I also remember the laundrette across the road from it.

So what things are you old enough to remember?

I remember going to the shop and watching the lady weigh out sugar into those thick blue paper bags and then fold the top down really carefully to make sure that none was spilt, butter was cut from what seemed like an enormous slab and then weighed on lovely big brass balance scales.

I think that this thread should perhaps be moved

I am old enough to remember getting 10 sweets in a 10p mix, Freddo's being 10p, playing out because your mum told you to go out and play you did not sit in your bedroom playing on your computer console on your laptop or tablet. BBC Computers at school and then the Acorn computers, free school milk, when your mobile phone was bigger than the house phone the house phone having a lock on it so you could not ring a mobile.

KP chewing Gum I loved that, Cadbury's Secret chocolate bars. Chocolate cigarettes you thought you were so cool and sophisticated lol everybody wearing plastic coloured dummies round their necks when they were fashionable, Sweater Shop Jumpers, United Colours Of Benetton Jumpers, Nike Fila trainers with a big tongue Nike Air Max's with the air bubble that if your mum washed them in the washer the bubble popped. Sony Walkman I loved mine took it everywhere, cassette tapes lol taping the top 40 on a Sunday off the radio and taping it before the person spoke. Even further back records vinyls 12" video recorders Scotch Video Tapes re record don't fade away with the Skeleton on the advert, The BSE crisis, Princess Diana's death.

I remember those germoline bubblies that had the acid face tattoo transfer inside.

I'm old enough to remember the lady with the brass weighing machine with the red velvet chair outside the Sheaf outdoor Market.

Ha ha ha yes so did I, they tasted like the first aid box that my mum had in the house smelt like I know what you mean Germoline Disinfectanty smell lol I wondered why I had to have fillings my mum went mad because my friends and I stuck all the tattoos on ourselves and mine just would not come off even with several attempts to try oh the good old days, Anglo Bubbly they are nice and they still do them, Golf Ball bubblies, Jaw Breakers hot I loved those. :)

Edited by CatsEyes84

4 black jacks or 4 fruit salads for 1p (that's an old penny!); mum ordering her groceries every week from the local Co-op and having it delivered for free; wagon wheels that were as big as wheels; five boys chocolate bars; Fry's mint bars and fruit bars and spangles. Coffee shop at the top of Snig Hill where the BSM driving school was based and which served frothy coffee in glass cups.

I'm old enough to remember the lady with the brass weighing machine with the red velvet chair outside the Sheaf outdoor Market.

I don't remember her, but I remember going to Sheaf & Castle Market so my mum could get her fish and meat and me saying it smells why do we have to go in there it did reek though horrible meat and fish together, going to Sheaf Market with my dad to get the Turkey at Christmas time on Christmas Eve and it would be packed with shoppers as it alway's was things have changed so much since then. :)

4 black jacks or 4 fruit salads for 1p (that's an old penny!); mum ordering her groceries every week from the local Co-op and having it delivered for free; wagon wheels that were as big as wheels; five boys chocolate bars; Fry's mint bars and fruit bars and spangles. Coffee shop at the top of Snig Hill where the BSM driving school was based and which served frothy coffee in glass cups.

I often mention the black jack and fruit salad rip off, when we went to decimal money you only got 8 for 1 new pence thus making them nearly 300%dearer.

I remember the first stretch-arm-strong toy having Kirt Russle's face.

I remember paying 2p bus fare as a child, the half penny and £1 note.

Pop being delivered to the doorstep. The fish van coming round. Public service broadcasts about not playing in ponds, taking sweets from strangers and learning to swim. The coalman. Those weird transfer things where you had a background then rubbed onto it transfers of dinosaurs or people or spacemen. Izal super slip toilet paper. Being sent to the shops to get ten No.6 for my uncle.