Pothole Causes Death of Cyclist

I heard about this the other day, however, I never got around to posting it. Plus, I wasn't sure what sort of reception it would get, after all, this is SF where cyclists and potholes are often fiercely debated.

This is a dreadfully sad story, one which could have been avoided had the road been maintained as it should.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2283266/Anger-death-crash-cyclist-killed-pothole.html

Too right. As a cyclist this is one thing that scares me about riding in and around the city. I have already come off once as a result of a pothole. Fortunately, no damage done, however, as the story shows, these things could easily become fatal.

Thoughts go out to his family and friends. As a biker I know how difficult some potholes are to see, they are causing so many accidents and damage but it shouldn't come to a fatality before something is done about them.

I understand the need for traffic calming in certain areas but often the money would be better spent in repairing the roads first.

Tragic. RIP

Equally tragic are the usual idiotic comments after the article. What is wrong with people?

Too right. As a cyclist this is one thing that scares me about riding in and around the city. I have already come off once as a result of a pothole. Fortunately, no damage done, however, as the story shows, these things could easily become fatal.

Are there any Sheffield-based cycling organisations that could forward this story to Sheffield Councillors? The potholes on our city roads are bad enough if you're in a car.

Have you ever ridden in a chain gang? If you have you will know that other riders point out potholes, parked cars etc.

According to the report the riders in front did just that but the unfortunate guy didn't react in time...

Utterly tragic.

Yes, and then the Mail has ignorant commenters saying he had it coming because he didn't pay "road tax". Amazing.

I heard about this the other day, however, I never got around to posting it. Plus, I wasn't sure what sort of reception it would get, after all, this is SF where cyclists and potholes are often fiercely debated.

This is a dreadfully sad story, one which could have been avoided had the road been maintained as it should.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2283266/Anger-death-crash-cyclist-killed-pothole.html

Bummer!

Thats a crap way to go. RIP to the poor bloke and his family.

---------- Post added 26-02-2013 at 13:45 ----------

Tragic. RIP

Equally tragic are the usual idiotic comments after the article. What is wrong with people?

I saw them too. Some pretty stupid things being said on there.

Although the ones pointing out cyclists should have insurance make a good point.