Last orders for The Yorkshire Grey

That's a listed building AFAIAA, and the oldest pub in Sheffield. The Old Queen's head will be here for a very long time.

Wilf

Not quite :) it's the possibly oldest building in town to be used as a pub, but I believe it wasn't granted a licence until mid-19th. century. I think the building itself dates from Elizabethan times.

Sheffield Directories show that a pub called the Queen's Head didn't appear in Pond Hill unti sometime between 1852 and 1857.

Queen's Head, John Taylor, l4, Crook croft

Queen's Head, William Travis, Castle street

Queen's Head, David Bower, 2, Campo lane

Queen's Head, John Taylor, Sheaf street, Park

Queen's Head, William Travis, 13 Castle street

Queen's Head, John Fordham, Campo lane

Queen's Head, John Smith, Attercliffe

Queen's Head, William Travis, 13 Castle st

Queen's Head, Sarah Fordham, Campo lane

Queen's Head, Samuel Slack, Attercliffe

Queen's Head, Staniforth Samuel, 20 Sheaf street

Queen's Head, Hunsley John, 18 Castle street

Queen’s Head, Samuell Staniforth, 20 Sheaf st

Queen’s Head. (old)J. Hunsley, 18 Castle st

Queen’s Head, Jas. Cocking, Attercliffe

Queen’s Head, James Piley, Pond hill

Sorry, but I don't see any point saving the YG.

It's not particularly a pretty building, especially with it being standing alone. If it was part of a run of great architectural buildings that would be another matter.

If it stayed, it would look completely out of place when all the new developments are complete around St Pauls square - whether you like the new buildings or not.

Get rid and let's see the area finished i say.

Its sad that the YG is going, but its death is not in vain. We've moaned for long enough that the city centre isnt good enough and the 550-space car park replacing it is one thing the centre desperately needs if it is to stand a chance of drawing back some trade from Meadowhall.

Parking in the city centre is awful and fragmented at the moment. Down with the pub!

I currently work at the Queen's Head...

It's not the oldest pub in sheffield, it's the oldest commercial building in Sheffield. The bod was right about the Nailmaker's being the oldest pub. We were a hunting lodge first AFAIK.

Whether it's haunted is another matter - I've never seen anything personally...

HTH

It's actually the oldest "dwelling" house in Seffield and used to be the luandry for Manor Castle. When I worked there in the 60s the tunnel joining them was still there but sealed. If my memory serves me right the oldest pub is The Nailmakers

I went in there this lunchtime to see it for the last time. We used to go in there 50years ago when Sam & Lil were on the piano and drums (by the way Lil played the drums). I was very disapointed, there were about 6 of us in, there was no heating on and the barstaff (or whoever they were) spent all the time taking pictures off the wall and dismantling everything they could. I thought there would be a bit of a farewell but no it was terrible, cant imagine what it will be like tonight, think I'll give it a miss.