Last orders for The Yorkshire Grey

Time will be called on The Yorkshire Grey on Sunday night.

I think it is diabolical that Sheffield City Council have give the go-ahead for a beautiful building that has been standing for over 125 years, to be demolished.

I wouldn't mind if they were going to put something worthwhile in its place, but they aren't. They are going to throw up another monstrocity like the new St Paul's Place building - which in my opinion is a blot on the landscape and worse that its predecessor, the Egg Boxes.

Sadly, knocking beautiful old buildings seems to be the norm these days. The same thing is happening in London. Wembley Conference Centre, which has been the home of Snooker's Masters for 27 years, is going to be raised to the ground to make way for flats and shops.

I am all for getting rid of eyesores like Sheaf House and Dyson House, but The Yorkshire Grey is not an eyesore - it is one of the nicest buildings in Sheffield city centre.

The day that the bulldozers start tearing into The Yorkshire Grey, will be a sad one. It will be missed.

Don't know why everyone is so shocked I am used to the SCC completely demolishing things that people like and are used too... even when it does good business.

Will be a shame but it seems to have just turned into student bar over the last few months/ years anyway and there are more than enough of those IMO anyways.

You're all wrong :P

The building in its current form hasn't been there all that long (but was built in 1933), as it was given a large extension (before being renamed 'The Yorkshire Grey'). Previous to it being TYG it was called The Minerva Tavern, Minerva & Bar Rio (in Chronological order).

There has however been a pub on the site of the Yorkshire Grey since 1833. There used to be 4 pubs there in 1833, now only one remains.