Motorists not being ripped off?

Thats not whats happened here.Ive seen the garage at the bottom of the road creeping the prices up over the last few weeks from 1.39 to 1.42 for diesel where its currently at.So why is that if its not a broad reason for hikes?

Check petrolprices.com

Is it happening everywhere or just at one garage? If its the latter then you need to take it up with them. Its often been remarked on here how fuel is cheaper at one Morrisons store than another.

It seems to me that anyone who drives a car, or for that matter anyone that uses fuel of any sort can plainly see for themselves that the oil companies are crafty in hiking prices up as soon as there's the slightest upward 'blip' in wholesale prices, and take forever to lower them, when the price drops. And that's only usually as a result of a price war between the supermarket petrol stations.

So the OFT looks into it and can find no evidence of this? It beggars belief! Who did they ask? The oil companies? Or Joe public?

As for the obscene amount of taxation / duty on fuel that the government rake in....well that's another matter for another thread someday!

Yes but it makes up the bulk of the price of fuel. If fuel goes up, the tax take on it goes up, plus the tax on the tax on the fuel goes up.

All these stupid boycott schemes that appear everywhere are stupid

like boycott BP every Wednesday, that won't do anything.

Yes but it makes up the bulk of the price of fuel. If fuel goes up, the tax take on it goes up, plus the tax on the tax on the fuel goes up.

The duty on the fuel won't go up as is on a per litre basis (unless you're talking about a fuel duty rise)..the rise in price will attract a bit more VAT though...

I agree...the boycotts don't work. The reality is, that when I need fuel to go somewhere, I get it. If I just happened to not need fuel on a particular day when we're supposed to boycott somewhere, I wouldn't consider that I've complied with the boycott. Just that I didn't need it on that day!

Seems to me that the only people who could possibly have any clout, is the tanker drivers. If they didn't deliver....that's when the government and the oil companies start to panic and make noises about getting the army in to do it!

The duty on the fuel won't go up as is on a per litre basis (unless you're talking about a fuel duty rise)..the rise in price will attract a bit more VAT though...

Oh yeah, good thinking batman

When fuel reaches £10-00 a gallon, and then £10-00 a litre, it will still and always be great value, maybe not for mororists, but the oil companies adn government, who every day laugh all the way to the waiting, smiling banks.

More seedy goverment lies, get em out.:suspect:

Yeah lets get Labour in, they're the motorists freind. :rolleyes:

---------- Post added 02-02-2013 at 06:30 ----------

Seems to me that the only people who could possibly have any clout, is the tanker drivers. If they didn't deliver....that's when the government and the oil companies start to panic and make noises about getting the army in to do it!

This happened in 2000 didn't it? in protest about fuel reaching a £1 a ltr.

Its done nothing but go up since then.

We did survey just before christmas on all the cars that were driving past Uni, and wanted to ask "do you think you should be paying more tax on petrol?"

1)If you were in favour car drivers had to put their headlamps on

2)If you were not sure then you had to drive with one lamp on and one lamp off and would be counted as a yes vote

3) If you were of the beleef that you should be paying less tax then you had to drive with your headlamps off.

We did this survey last December between 4pm and 5pm and 98% of cars had both headlamps on and wanted to pay more, 3 cars had one lamp on and one lamp off and so unsure, only one car didn't have there headlamps on and so car owners based on this survey want to pay more tax

Its time the tax paid in duty on petrol was displayed next the the pump price,might make the lying corrupt politicians think twice about putting it up.

We did survey just before christmas on all the cars that were driving past Uni, and wanted to ask "do you think you should be paying more tax on petrol?"

1)If you were in favour car drivers had to put their headlamps on

2)If you were not sure then you had to drive with one lamp on and one lamp off and would be counted as a yes vote

3) If you were of the beleef that you should be paying less tax then you had to drive with your headlamps off.

We did this survey last December between 4pm and 5pm and 98% of cars had both headlamps on and wanted to pay more, 3 cars had one lamp on and one lamp off and so unsure, only one car didn't have there headlamps on and so car owners based on this survey want to pay more tax

thought you were being serious for a moment there.

on an entirely unrelated point, we are looking for statisticians at sheffield council, are you interested?