Fright Night may be cancelled because of council cuts to funding.

Fright Night which attracts some 45,000 people to the city centre might not go ahead this year because of proposed cuts to the council's funding of the event.

It amazes me that these events loose money. The people are only there because the event is being staged. So without the event non of the food stalls, fairground rides or novelty stalls would be there making cash for their owners.

Surely events like this and Tramlines generate more money than they cost to stage. I wonder if there is a lack of imagination into how these events generate income for the city. Certainly if you cut enough you could make Sheffield into a ghost town. It's pretty well on the way.

Why not charge the stalls more money so the council actually makes money from these events, we were in town last year for the event and there were queues for virtually every ride, surely the council could generate some revenue from them.

Why not charge the stalls more money so the council actually makes money from these events, we were in town last year for the event and there were queues for virtually every ride, surely the council could generate some revenue from them.

That's my feeling too. Last year I watched a guy set up a hog roast. He then shifted a whole pig as pork rolls at £3.50 a time in about 1 hour. That's probably 250/300 rolls. I'm sure that the fee these folks pay to be there is a tiny fraction of the cash they take. 45000 visitors to the town centre spend a lot of cash.

The one thing that put me off most was the queues for food. Twice as many vendors would halve the queues and probably double revenues to boot.

I think the stalls do pay a fee already for having there stalls already. Perhaps someone with accurate knowledge could confirm either way.

I'm sure they do, but an event that attracts 45000 visitors creates a massive revenue. Clearly if the event is loosing money someone is doing their sums wrong.

It is not purely down to revenue on the night. Without people visiting the city centre bars, shops and restaurants close, and boarded up premises don't pay council tax or attract others to set up business.

Fright Night which attracts some 45,000 people to the city centre might not go ahead this year because of proposed cuts to the council's funding of the event.

It amazes me that these events loose money. The people are only there because the event is being staged. So without the event non of the food stalls, fairground rides or novelty stalls would be there making cash for their owners.

Surely events like this and Tramlines generate more money than they cost to stage. I wonder if there is a lack of imagination into how these events generate income for the city. Certainly if you cut enough you could make Sheffield into a ghost town. It's pretty well on the way.

Are we getting 45000 visitors to the city or are we merely getting 45000 Sheffield council tax payers recycling their money ?

And I will bet diamonds that the stall holders have to pay and will equally guess most of them aren't local.

Archived