Government messing with our pensions , yet again

According to the Daily Fail's James Coney today , "workers will need 35 full years of National Insurance contributions in order to claim " the State Pension." . Excuse my maths , but I've been paying NI for 25 years , since the age of 21 , which effectively means that I'll work for another 10 years then be entitled to state pension at the grand old age of 56 ......and yet you only qualify for state pension if you are 65 plus . Can anyone please explain why I will have to work a further 108 months before I might be entitled to such a pension ?

I saw about this but I did wonder how long will this 'initiative' last before its overturned by some other government.

We have to pay NI but I do wonder about my additional pension payments, might be better spending it at Ladbrokes-feels about as safe

I saw about this but I did wonder how long will this 'initiative' last before its overturned by some other government.We have to pay NI but I do wonder about my additional pension payments, might be better spending it at Ladbrokes-feels about as safe

I think the government is just hoping the grey vote will carry them through the next election, which is why they tested the water with a £144pw bribe. To be honest people have already realised it's a con.

And if you're lucky enough to still have a decent final salary pension you will get taxed more.

Looks like it's not only Gordon Brown who likes to raid pensions, with Osborne having done precisely nothing to reverse any of Brown's measures launching his own assault.

Can anyone please explain why I will have to work a further 108 months before I might be entitled to such a pension ?

Yes. It's a proposed law change. From now you will have a work an extra 60 months to get a full state pension. So it's not an extra 108 months as you would have had to work 48 more months anyway. If you were planning to work an extra 10 years anyway you won't be paying any more than you would have done.

People are living longer and so in order to balance the books we have to pay more into the system. The pension age has already been put back to 66 and 67. If Labour or any other government want to keep things as they are they'd have to raise the extra money somehow and so should say how.

I think it's a good idea to increase the basic pension rather than rely on means-tested Pension Credit which is complicated and missed by some people who don't apply.

---------- Post added 15-01-2013 at 07:39 ----------

....with Osborne having done precisely nothing to reverse any of Brown's measures launches his own assault.

It wasn't Osborne. It was Steve Webb, the pensions minister.

Because we are living longer than our ancesters the government want to squeeze every last working day out of us till we are old and wrinkly, then let us catch hypothermia in the winter on a crappy state pension.

The next step will be an annual cull of all people over 80!

Yes. It's a proposed law change. From now you will have a work an extra 60 months to get a full state pension. So it's not an extra 108 months as you would have had to work 48 more months anyway. If you were planning to work an extra 10 years anyway you won't be paying any more than you would have done.

People are living longer and so in order to balance the books we have to pay more into the system. The pension age has already been put back to 66 and 67. If Labour or any other government want to keep things as they are they'd have to raise the extra money somehow and so should say how.

I think it's a good idea to increase the basic pension rather than rely on means-tested Pension Credit which is complicated and missed by some people who don't apply.

---------- Post added 15-01-2013 at 07:39 ----------

It wasn't Osborne. It was Steve Webb, the pensions minister.

And none of the proposals costed by the Treasury?

Get your coat ;)

I think the government is just hoping the grey vote will carry them through the next election, which is why they tested the water with a £144pw bribe. To be honest people have already realised it's a con.

It's far from a bribe, having over £142.00 per week solely to spend on food, Full rent paid regardless of property size, council tax paid, £130 for electricity and £200 for heating plus more free money when it goes below freezing and other luxeries such a s free travel, lunch clubs and prority housing is darn good deal, especially when most haven't paid enough into the pot. A lot of OAP's are just greedy and makle me feel ashamed to be British.

It's far from a bribe, having over £142.00 per week solely to spend on food, Full rent paid regardless of property size, council tax paid, £130 for electricity and £200 for heating plus more free money when it goes below freezing and other luxeries such a s free travel, lunch clubs and prority housing is darn good deal, especially when most haven't paid enough into the pot. A lot of OAP's are just greedy and makle me feel ashamed to be British.

It's a bribe, state pensioners would received far more than they do now

Which planet are you living on today?

Archived