Councillors scrap bus passes for kids - but keep their own

Kevin123

All kids who go to Church of England and Catholic primary and secondary schools across the city will have to pay £1.20 a day, per child, in future if the proposals go through:

http://postcodegazette.com/news/9002723695/council-set-to-scrap-bus-passes-for-kids-attending-church-schools-AT-sheffield-sheffield-town-hall/

There is a consultation on the plans which closes on Friday. Parents can give their view at: admissionsconsultation@sheffield.gov.uk

Thats pretty outrageous!

Why just for Church Schools?

Is it because they are not under control of the LEA?

Wouldn't it be fairer to just extend the min. distance a child has to live from the school to be eligable for free travel?

Also children attending church schools especially somewhere like Notre Dame come from a larger catchment hence the need for bus travel.

Am I right in thinking that non-church school kids don't get free buses and have to pay their own way? If so, then I support this removal of the free passes to god-botherer kids. Why should they get free transport if others don't?

Am I right in thinking that non Catholic pupils attending Catholic schools,

already do not receive free bus passes other than for special needs

It has always been the case that kids (at any school) who live over 3 miles away are entitled to a free pass, hasn't it? I had one as my catchment area school was about 5 miles away (Bramall Lane to Dore), but I had to go there.

As the article says, sending your child to a distant school, out of choice for religious reasons, rather than your catchment area school which might be 5 minutes away, is a CHOICE that shouldn't have to be funded by someone else.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

My cousins attend All Saints and live in Handsworth. When I asked my auntie why she sent them there and not to a local school, her answer was "well, because they had a catholic christening"

Her husband is Jamaican, and his family (in Jamaica) are church goers, so they had Catholic christenings for the kids and a catholic wedding service, but other than that, they do not practice any Catholic religious stuff on a day to day basis, and I'm sure they would get on just fine at a local school.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Archived