Private Parking Charge Notices [PCN] - Megathread - ALL questions in here

The 2nd one, do you think it was reasonable that you were ticketed for that?

---------- Post added 01-10-2013 at 15:14 ----------

I had a ticket recently, the private company issuing it (or the individual anyway) lied (to my face in fact) and on the ticket.

I knew for a fact that I'd been there for 1:58 minutes and had actually bought something in the shop, thus I was within the stated rules.

He claimed to have arrived before me (a lie) and that I'd been there for over 2 hours (another lie).

So the sentence which I've highlighted in bold is clearly not correct.

That's why I said in point 3 "usually". My posts on this thread today are related to Rustybum's plight (and not because of a strong curry) of parking at the shops and not using them.

A few days ago someone else was ticketed for not parking in a bay at Centertainment. Why? Not enough spaces? Not good enough excuse.

That's why I said in point 3 "usually". My posts on this thread today are related to Rustybum's plight (and not because of a strong curry) of parking at the shops and not using them.

A few days ago someone else was ticketed for not parking in a bay at Centertainment. Why? Not enough spaces? Not good enough excuse.

Poor attempt at changing the subject. 0/10 and a fine. £50.00.

Since you believe private companies can fine people I have a company and my invoice is in the post.

Why? You ignored my question. And those are the rules I made up for this forum just now.

Ludicrous? Of course it is. And what you might find is our friend Alchresearch suddenly stops believing that private companies can fine people. For rules that they have made up.

Or is your cheque in the post?

I don't have much sympathy for centretainment, they do nothing to stop people who are visiting the arena parking there, they sell tickets in advance and then they are surprised when people park badly to see a film they've already paid for. (They're not actually surprised, they just don't care).

Edit - you said usually in point 3, after making an unequivocal statement that I highlighted prior to your numbered points. The statement needs to also say "usually", although then I'll ask you for evidence of how often they don't lie... In my experience it's 50% of the time.

Since you believe private companies can fine people I have a company and my invoice is in the post.

Why? You ignored my question. And those are the rules I made up for this forum just now.

Ludicrous? Of course it is. And what you might find is our friend Alchresearch suddenly stops believing that private companies can fine people. For rules that they have made up.

That's not a good analogy Dave.

If you had made a post that said I am now working on behalf of the forum and any posts after this point will be charged £50 reducing to £25 if paid with 14 days. You should ensure proper grammar. Use of text speak or similar will be charged £50 reduced to £25 if paid within 14 days. etc etc

That then gives him time to read the conditions of posting (presuming that you have a contract in place with the Forum to allow the charges) and chose to post if he wanted to.

You could then argue (in county court if necessary) that those were the conditions of posting and hence the invoice in valid. I'm sure the argument back could come about losses you have incurred in bandwidth, hosting charges etc and let the lottery that is a county court judge decide.

That would be a better analogy!

That's not a good analogy Dave.

If you had made a post that said I am now working on behalf of the forum and any posts after this point will be charged £50 reducing to £25 if paid with 14 days. You should ensure proper grammar. Use of text speak or similar will be charged £50 reduced to £25 if paid within 14 days. etc etc

That then gives him time to read the conditions of posting (presuming that you have a contract in place with the Forum to allow the charges) and chose to post if he wanted to.

You could then argue (in county court if necessary) that those were the conditions of posting and hence the invoice in valid. I'm sure the argument back could come about losses you have incurred in bandwidth, hosting charges etc and let the lottery that is a county court judge decide.

That would be a better analogy!

That is good. I like that. I may use it. Is it errr.......copywrite?

:-)

Last Sunday i parked in the car park on Bradfield Rd as i went to see some friends i haven't seen for a while, i asked in the pubs where i went about the car park and was told they it didn't count as it was at night and they didn't bother (maybe i shouldn't have listened to them), i have received a charge from a company called parking eye for £85 (reduced to £50 if i pay in 14 days) for staying a hour over the limit (2 hr Limit), they say in the letter that if i don't say who the driver was they will pursue me for the full amount, i wouldn't mind so much but it was Sunday night and all the shops were shut, does anyone know if they can do this, after reading the earlier posts i am tempted to ignore it, could someone give me any advice please.

Last Sunday i parked in the car park on Bradfield Rd as i went to see some friends i haven't seen for a while, i asked in the pubs where i went about the car park and was told they it didn't count as it was at night and they didn't bother (maybe i shouldn't have listened to them), i have received a charge from a company called parking eye for £85 (reduced to £50 if i pay in 14 days) for staying a hour over the limit (2 hr Limit), they say in the letter that if i don't say who the driver was they will pursue me for the full amount, i wouldn't mind so much but it was Sunday night and all the shops were shut, does anyone know if they can do this, after reading the earlier posts i am tempted to ignore it, could someone give me any advice please.

Try here

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1081588

Well written - you received a 'charge', not a fine. Others previously have described it as an 'invitation to pay'.

Edited by Mr Bloom

Well written - you received a 'charge', not a fine. Others previously have described it as an 'invitation to pay'.

Correct, its a speculative invoice ,nothing more . Its like me writing to you saying you owe me £85 for parking on my road , its worthless .

Maybe you should read back through my posts on the parking threads, you'll see that I've said that their tactics of making them look like fines are underhanded and sly.

Please point out where I've said that private parking companies can fine people because I honestly don't recall every saying that. But you really are being petty just arguing the difference between the words fine and invoice. Isn't it "Penalty Charge Notice"? I wouldn't know because I read the signs and park to the rules of the car park so I've never incurred their wrath - just like many others who drive and park every day.

Edited by alchresearch

There are plenty of signs up in the car park:

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=bradfield+road+sheffield&hl=en&ll=53.403552,-1.499425&spn=0.002549,0.006968&sll=52.8382,-2.327815&sspn=10.586865,28.54248&hnear=Bradfield+Rd,+Sheffield,+United+Kingdom&t=h&z=18&layer=c&cbll=53.403488,-1.499259&panoid=MuaI5JisTdPYYlZvaja8fg&cbp=12,98.97,,0,1.25

But, you're right in that it shouldn't count because it says "shoppers car park" and if the shops aren't open at night then there's no need for limits.

Maybe you should read back through my posts on the parking threads, you'll see that I've said that their tactics of making them look like fines are underhanded and sly.

Please point out where I've said that private parking companies can fine people because I honestly don't recall every saying that. But you really are being petty just arguing the difference between the words fine and invoice. Isn't it "Penalty Charge Notice"? I wouldn't know because I read the signs and park to the rules of the car park so I've never incurred their wrath - just like many others who drive and park every day.

I really think in view of your (now) admitted ignorance you might shut up?

In the case of parking and the law, words are very important. PP's cannot "fine" people - show me where you have said that? They can only "invoice" people and the difference is hugely important - though for some reason you seem to think the difference is minimal.

It says "Parking Charge Notice" because the short version PCN also stands for PENALTY Charge Notice (remarkably also PCN!!) but one is private parking companies - the other one is councils and police who are allowed to fine people. I would suggest the similarity is deliberate.

The problem isn't - for the one thousand seven hundred and twenty-eighth time - about parking properly.

---------- Post added 02-10-2013 at 11:23 ----------

There are plenty of signs up in the car park:

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=bradfield+road+sheffield&hl=en&ll=53.403552,-1.499425&spn=0.002549,0.006968&sll=52.8382,-2.327815&sspn=10.586865,28.54248&hnear=Bradfield+Rd,+Sheffield,+United+Kingdom&t=h&z=18&layer=c&cbll=53.403488,-1.499259&panoid=MuaI5JisTdPYYlZvaja8fg&cbp=12,98.97,,0,1.25

But, you're right in that it shouldn't count because it says "shoppers car park" and if the shops aren't open at night then there's no need for limits.

Total round spherical objects - it says 24 hour operation so your invoice was correctly issued. That doesn't mean you have to pay it though.

What you should do is set out here:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=63301790&highlight=#post63301790

Take a particular look at post 8 by UMKOMAAS

Ignore was the correct advice up to October 2012. There have been changes to the law since then and it no longer applies. Follow the advice in that link and you can cost THEM money.

Edited by Walkley Dave