The New Tesco Metro on Ecclesall Road

ukdavvy

Hi

I know theres a thread doing the rounds about the renovated Tesco but in my opinion this deserves a new one :)

Is anybody else hacked off with it?

I dont mean that there isnt enough olive oil to go round all the Whirlow gllitterati lol but I mean the disruption it is causing to Eccy Road.

The old corner shop Tesco was fine, there was limited parking in Berkely Sq but that was OK as the store wasnt that popular.

Well now they have expended it its jolly huge and is attracting massive numbers of shoppers who all try to park nearby, as you can imagine parking is poor around Eccy Road leading to road rage actually in the car park and cars backing up trying to get in and blocking the pavements as youre walking along. They probably need a new traffic light junction with a pelican crossing for pedestrians just walking along the street.

Add this to thoughtless types parking their aspirational 4x4 tractors actually on the pavement and you have a comlete traffic mess and hazard to pedestrians within a good distance of Berk Sq on each side.

I cannot believe this was all signed off without the planning office realising the hassle it would cause.

The shop is now not much smaller than the superstores around town but these all come with massive car parks.

Its all a mess and Im cheesed off as well as scared of being knocked down walking anywhere around there.

Who is the best person to complain to?

Council?

Police?

Planning?

Traffic?

If anyone has a petition just tell me where to sign.

d

I think a lot of it has to do with the novelty factor. People aren't likely to make a point of driving to this tesco when there's so many other larger stores withing driving distance. I'm sure that it'll calm down over the next few weeks.

I don't think that it seems that much bigger than the original store; it's still very claustrophobic. I suppose that they can't really expand it any more, and if customers want it to sell more produce then that means less free space to walk around in.

One issue I do have is the front door. It only seems about a metre wide which is great fun when it's busy. You have to que to get in and out.

Originally posted by ukdavvy

I dont mean that there isnt enough olive oil to go round all the Whirlow gllitterati lol but I mean the disruption it is causing to Eccy Road.

.... and I always thought the Whirlow glitterati shopped at Waitrose! :bigsmile:

Originally posted by ukdavvy

Who is the best person to complain to?

Council?

Police?

Planning?

Traffic?

Letters of complaint should be sent to the Planning Dept at Howden House.

I'd complain to your councillor or the chief exec of the council - people who can get something done about it.

Whether or not they do is another matter, but traffic is hell around that precinct.

Without seeing the exact detail of the application I suspect that there is little that can or could be done about it.

The entire precinct has planning consent for retail already so the only change would have been to the size of the store. Providing it is under a certain size (racks memory, ISTR 10,000 sq.ft. ) outside the 'retail centre' (ie the city centre shopping core) there is no legal reason not to give a consent.

That all said, it's a nightmare at the moment. The cars waiting on Ecclesall Road are a hazard. It's not even much bigger, but it's now full of shoppers with cars pushing trolleys rather than people like me nipping in and out for a few bits and pieces. :( Somerfield is a treat by comparison.

Rather than worrying about the done deal that was Tesco think yourself lucky that it didn't get consent for a McDonald's drive through like they wanted a couple of years ago. Chavtastic! I have suspicions about a certain vacant petrol station not so far away though - it will be great for serving up cardboard and fries to long lines of chavved up nova's :suspect:

Originally posted by Tony

Rather than worrying about the done deal that was Tesco think yourself lucky that it didn't get consent for a McDonald's drive through like they wanted a couple of years ago. Chavtastic! I have suspicions about a certain vacant petrol station not so far away though - it will be great for serving up cardboard and fries to long lines of chavved up nova's :suspect:

I wouldn't worry too much, most of the people with that attitude have their noses so far up their own butt holes they don't notice the outside world around them :)

As for Tesco on Eccy Rd, I was unfortunate enough to have to be up that end of town a few weeks ago and went in tesco, I thought i'd gone to a third world country by mistake.

At least it sounds like they've finally got a 20th century supermarket now :)

They just need to talk the council into giving them 20th century logistics too.

I remember when waitrose opened you couldn't get near the place for a few weeks - it's clearly all the local gourmands going in to experience a new shopping sensation. *sarcy* :rolleyes:

Personally I cannot see the thrill of a new supermarket, but if some people are lacking in excitement... That branch of Tesco is one I always avoid, as I can't cope with the gangs of students who block up the aisles to natter - though it's always stuffed to the gills with yellow-stickered bargains and student-free on Good Friday...

However, if the Tesco at Abbeydale does indeed close down for expansion this year and move the shop into a big marquee in the car park, then the Ecclesall Road Tesco will only get busier, as I doubt it will be a pleasant experienece shopping at Abbeydale with all the chaos.