The New Tesco Metro on Ecclesall Road

ukdavvy

Originally posted by Mathom

However, if the Tesco at Abbeydale does indeed close down for expansion this year and move the shop into a big marquee in the car park, then the Ecclesall Road Tesco will only get busier, as I doubt it will be a pleasant experienece shopping at Abbeydale with all the chaos.

I hadn't heard of this - any more information?

Cheers,

b

Hi,

The biggest problems for me are the lorries delivering to tescos. There seem to be 2 of them at all times paked one in front of the other, across the bus stop. No one can catch their buses as they all just drive straight past!

I have a shop opposite tescos and every morning there is a great big lorry parked across the hatchings of the pedestrian crossing blocking access to everything. Last week someone nearly got knocked down at the crossing as a car over took the lorry and was obviously too busy trying to pull around it, that they didn't see the lights in time.

Thing is, now they have expanded, the amount of deliveries has more than doubled. There just isn't enough room for the size of these lorries in such a pedestrianised area!?!

Originally posted by basshedz2

I hadn't heard of this - any more information?

Cheers,

b

A guy who works there told me that they want to put a first floor in, to sell more non-food items, and they want the shop to continue running. So they are thinking of putting a huge marquee in half the carpark and trading out of that. I think unless you were there first thing in a morning it could be mayhem trying to park! I hope they actually find a way of putting in the floor without doing this - maybe they could cease trading at night for a few months and do it then?

You're wasting your time - really, tesco are taking over the world slowly but surely [/b]

There was a line on TV yesterday that i heard. Apparently 1 pound in every 8 spent in UK shops is in a Tescos.

They really are taking over the world, in a simliar way to eBay/Paypal are the internet.

Originally posted by 2wentypence

Get a life! You seem to have a problem with residents of Whirlow and property developers- is this cause you would like to make lots of money from it, and would like to live in Whirlow?

And its a bit late to make representations once a development has been completed. The planning process gave you the chance to do this before but you didnt so why complain now? The chance of a petition reversing this situation is nil, and if they do (whichh they wont) it will be my tax that is used to compensate Tesco's which could be spent on educating little children or the environment.

There's no need to be so aggressive. The fact is that the new store is causing traffic congestion which *will* make that section of Eccleshall road more dangerous for pedestrians and cyclists, and car drivers may have to occasionally repair a bit of scratched paintwork. It's laughable that the two points you choose (educating children, you can't educate dead children) and the environment (congestion and polution caused by queueing traffic) are the kind of thing that would be solved by putting some thought into the road layout.

Just because the planning application has already gone through and the store has been built doesn't mean that the road layout and car parking can't be changed to better accomodate it. You know as well as everyone else here that 99.9% of the population don't get involved in planning consultations.

Originally posted by sara2003t

Hi,

The biggest problems for me are the lorries delivering to tescos. There seem to be 2 of them at all times paked one in front of the other, across the bus stop. No one can catch their buses as they all just drive straight past!

I have a shop opposite tescos and every morning there is a great big lorry parked across the hatchings of the pedestrian crossing blocking access to everything. Last week someone nearly got knocked down at the crossing as a car over took the lorry and was obviously too busy trying to pull around it, that they didn't see the lights in time.

Thing is, now they have expanded, the amount of deliveries has more than doubled. There just isn't enough room for the size of these lorries in such a pedestrianised area!?!

That definitely seems to be something worth writing letters about. It's absurd to build a supermarket without providing a safe space for loading, especially as Tesco's 'just in time' business model seems to require that stores get deliveries every two hours. From what you've said it sounds like the lorry was illegally parked (on the zigzag lines) if it was that close to the crossing. That's completely unacceptable if it's happening on a regular basis. Seriously, a new supermarket is not worth people being killed. Eccleshall road is already extremely difficult to negotiate as a pedestrian with all the parked cars.

Originally posted by tonton_mac

Oh yes!

Tesco don't really have 'our' best intrests at heart you know...

PM me if you want some more info...

tx

ooooo a site complainin about tesco doing what it has every right to do - how odd, theres also one about morrisons which is virtually word identical about how they are closing post offices - why this is posted here is odd as its completely irrelevant to the topic.

Originally posted by Mathom

A guy who works there told me that they want to put a first floor in, to sell more non-food items, and they want the shop to continue running. So they are thinking of putting a huge marquee in half the carpark and trading out of that. I think unless you were there first thing in a morning it could be mayhem trying to park!

Not necesserely - don't forget there's the "Park and Ride" car park down there that nobody ever uses. If the store car park was taken up, people could park in there.

Did Asda at Handsworth close when they had the upstairs put in?