Recommend me a bicycle headlight

I'm sure that if a motorist had headlights that flashed on and off constantly they'd be getting stopped by police and made to get the fault fixed. Why should this be different for cyclists?

How much light do car headlights put out? How much light do flashing bike lights put out? There's your answer.

You must get really annoyed by car drivers using their indicators - they put out more light than bike lights.

can you make sure that it doesn't flash?

the flashing lights that cyclists insist on using are very distracting

Yeah, and while you're at it, pay some road tax!

I'm sure that if a motorist had headlights that flashed on and off constantly they'd be getting stopped by police and made to get the fault fixed. Why should this be different for cyclists?

There's no legal issue at all with flashing red or white lights on bikes, as long as the flash within the permitted repeats per minute.

Yeah, and while you're at it, pay some road tax!

All I wanted were some sensible answers about good cycle lights... :rolleyes::D I thought it would be rather optimistic!

Anyway, thanks for the replies so far. I've got LED lights, which are good for being seen by other road users but not for seeing the road in areas with no street lights. Unless I ride at a walking pace, and then what's the point?!

I'll pop down to Langsett Cycles tomorrow and ask them, I think.

All I wanted were some sensible answers about good cycle lights... :rolleyes::D I thought it would be rather optimistic!

Anyway, thanks for the replies so far. I've got LED lights, which are good for being seen by other road users but not for seeing the road in areas with no street lights. Unless I ride at a walking pace, and then what's the point?!

If that is your experience then you need (LED) lamps with wider heads which obviously cover a wider area.

You should know better.

Seriously, though, Squiggs might have some useful info when he sees the thread. Until then, why not have a look on the cycling forums? The mbr one sometimes has useful stuff.

Edited by Lockjaw

The LED lamps I use, from Tesco, are double LED's and light up the terrain ahead for me fine ( I cycle at night through the woods and fields)

Cyclists are permitted to have flashing lights:

At night your cycle MUST have white front and red rear lights lit. It MUST also be fitted with a red rear reflector (and amber pedal reflectors, if manufactured after 1/10/85). White front reflectors and spoke reflectors will also help you to be seen. Flashing lights are permitted but it is recommended that cyclists who are riding in areas without street lighting use a steady front lamp.

Law RVLR regs 13, 18 & 24

(Taken from this website: https://www.gov.uk/rules-for-cyclists-59-to-82/overview-59-to-71)

Like RootsBooster said, if you have noticed the flashing lights, they have fulfilled their purpose :)

Who has all those reflectors.Most remove them on purchase and good pedals will not accept reflectors.Noddy has them on his bike but not Wiggins.

While we're on the subject, does anyone know if

would be legal on a bike? I've been offered something similar, dirt cheap

can you make sure that it doesn't flash?

the flashing lights that cyclists insist on using are very distracting

I used to have all my front lights set to steady until I read this report. Now I always have at least one light set to flashing when I'm on an urban road.

http://www.londoncyclist.co.uk/raf-pilot-teach-cyclists/

In particular, flashing LED’s (front and rear) are especially effective for cyclists as they create contrast and the on-off flashing attracts the peripheral vision in the same manner that movement does.

I used to have all my front lights set to steady until I read this report. Now I always have at least one light set to flashing when I'm on an urban road.

http://www.londoncyclist.co.uk/raf-pilot-teach-cyclists/

In particular, flashing LED’s (front and rear) are especially effective for cyclists as they create contrast and the on-off flashing attracts the peripheral vision in the same manner that movement does.

irregular flashing is best in my opinion!

If you are serious about winter commuting regularly a dynamo setup is probably the best way. A good shimano hub dynamo with good front and rear lights can be purchased and built into your existing wheel for about £170, thats parts and labour, especially if you source the parts from Germany.

May seem like a big outlay but the lights are always there when you need them and you'll never worry about flat batteries. Modern LED dynamo lamps are brght enough for dark unlit roads. If its your main method of getting to work in the winter the high initial price will be well worth it. I have used the same setup for 7 years and it is still going strong.