Recommend me a bicycle headlight

can you make sure that it doesn't flash?

the flashing lights that cyclists insist on using are very distracting

That's the point- they attract attention :)

How would it be if cars drove around with flashing headlights to make them more noticable?

That would be illegal- whereas it's totally legal for bicycles to have a flashing light- it's also very advisable for cyclists to use a rear flashing light as it makes them much more noticable to car drivers.

I'm sure that if a motorist had headlights that flashed on and off constantly they'd be getting stopped by police and made to get the fault fixed. Why should this be different for cyclists?

Yes, they would, as it's illegal for cars to have flashing headlamps. It's different for cyclists, as it's prefectly legal (and advisable) for cyclists to use flashing lights.

If you are serious about winter commuting regularly a dynamo setup is probably the best way.

Agreed, I have such a set-up on my commuting bike. In my case I use the schmidt hub, possibly slightly less drag than the Shimano but to be honest you will hardly notice the difference when either system is switched on.

http://www.nabendynamo.de/english/index.html

Initial cost is high but in my case the hub is well into its 3rd new rim and has been used almost everyday since 1999.

Just up the road Spa Cycles are marketing a new system branded as exposure lights.

http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b0s197p2792