Coppen Estates. . . .Sheffield

18 hours ago, geared said:

Unlikely given their track record.

Take it as a sign, the first opportunity you get to purchase the freehold reversion you should be doing so.

Many thanks for your input, I have made our RTMC  aware of the comments/ advice from Jim Shaw and yourself. I should get an invoice from Coppen towards the end of December when my next ground rent is due to be paid. If I do get my receipt in the interim I will acknowledge it here on the Forum. 

Hi all,  not sure if I should start another thread or post here, so apologies if I’ve come to the wrong place…. I have a lease hold property with coppens and part of the agreement is taking out house insurance with royal sun alliance, they have sent me a letter saying they no longer provide this type of insurance…. But they are able to provide insurance with another company and it will be underwritten by RSA.  I’ve tried to get in touch with coppens, left messages and sent a letter with self addressed envelope but no contact.  Does anyone else have the same problem, has anyone been able to resolve it?  It’s coming up to the date I really need to buy insurance but I don’t want to invalidate my leasehold… thanks

On 11/06/2022 at 11:27, FilJay* said:

Thanks,my bank statement is proof that I have paid. Took two and a half years for

them to send the invoice due to Covid and a change of Management Company. 

Fortunately I made a copy of the invoice/ statement. I will take your advice and

will decline the invitation to send a stamped self  addressed envelope and fee 

in order to get a receipt in future. ANOTHER PENSIONER MUGGED!!

Not really, when the next bill comes pay it a fiver short.

4 hours ago, Sunny1700 said:

Hi all,  not sure if I should start another thread or post here, so apologies if I’ve come to the wrong place…. I have a lease hold property with coppens and part of the agreement is taking out house insurance with royal sun alliance, they have sent me a letter saying they no longer provide this type of insurance…. But they are able to provide insurance with another company and it will be underwritten by RSA.  I’ve tried to get in touch with coppens, left messages and sent a letter with self addressed envelope but no contact.  Does anyone else have the same problem, has anyone been able to resolve it?  It’s coming up to the date I really need to buy insurance but I don’t want to invalidate my leasehold… thanks

1. Read your lease. It might or might not allow L (Coppen) to dictate property insurance.

2. NB: Coppen will not necessarily have read it before demanding.

3. On  many recent occasions, Coppen says that it does not have the counterpart Lease.

4. There's little or no point trying to make direct contact.

5. IF the lease does allow L (Coppen) to dictate property insurance, escape that by either:

a. serving an annual s.164 Notice; or

b. buying the freehold reversion.

On 02/08/2022 at 12:49, Sunny1700 said:

Hi, my daughter's property is with this landlord. They stalled her purchase by about 4 months incidentally, I worry about when she sells, anyway, she has already paid upfront for a year her lease plus the £45 they charge.

She went ahead and bought the insurance she could afford, they have never asked to see the policy (which begs the question why do we have to pay this for 'checking')  I would buy what you want Insurance can be shopped around for this is like going back a step to when mortgage providers insisted you had theirs. 

Apologies, I meant Jeffrey Shaw.  I have family in Sheffield who are

also my Attorneys and they will try to visit Coppen on my behalf. 

Our RTMC chairman now has an account number and sort code for 

Coppen and I will be happy to pay my Ground Rent by standing order but 

only if we can speak to or meet someone from Coppen Estates! 

Edited by FilJay*
Spelling

1 hour ago, FilJay* said:

Apologies, I meant JeffREy Shaw.  I have family in Sheffield who are

Don't hold your breath on that one.

4 hours ago, Twitcher said:

I would buy what you want Insurance can be shopped around for this is like going back a step to when mortgage providers insisted you had theirs. 

See my post #388. She can use her s.164 rights to escape at least the insurance covenant.

Owners of leasehold houses can  insure their property  at a broker of their choice   by  serving  a   S164  notice every year to inform the freeholder.   

This  avoids having to  insure their  property through an insurer,   chosen   by the freeholder.

https://www.lease-advice.org/wp-content/blogs.dir/4/files/2018/04/uksi_20043097_en.pdf

16 hours ago, FilJay* said:

Apologies, I meant Jeffrey Shaw.  I have family in Sheffield who are

The £5_00 I paid for my receipt is of course trivial but as

I understand the law ,if I don't ask Coppen to send it I 

will be "condoning " their actions. If my son is able to obtain it

when he calls it will be problem solved and we can get back to normal service. 

( have been here for 12 years )

Edited by FilJay*

It seems Coppen Estates is very inconsistent with how or if they respond to each household they deal with.

I purchased a leasehold house in 2017. I was made aware of the £45 charge, which we were told was a waiver if we did not go with Royal Sun Alliance as our insurer.

The house we bought wasn't liveable and required building work to be done before we moved in. For this reason RSA said they couldn't provide a quote, and the person I spoke to said they were sending a note there and then to Coppen Estates to notify them they could not quote for us. I also emailed Coppen Estates to say this, and wrote a letter with proof of other building insurance along with s.164 Notice. Reason I did this is one of our neighbours mentioned they had done it and had the £45 waiver removed. 

Coppen didn't get back to me, only time I heard from them again that year was when they approved our building works and took our payment of around £500 for that. 

Since then, every year, they have sent an invoice with a new £45 waiver along with our £5.50 ground rent. Every year, I show him proof of our insurance, quoting my original letter to him in 2017. I have copies of all the letters I sent Coppen, and now emails as they moved to that after Covid. I did seek advice from the solicitor that helped me with the purchase, and she suggested I write to Coppen, and give them 60 days to respond; and they did not respond.  I know they have received these letters because I hand delivered them to the address, and the cheques for ground rent included with each letter were cashed in. 

I haven't paid any of the £45 waivers, so it's now around £300. And Coppen are still yet to respond to any of my emails and letters. They don't chase me for the £45, but just simply add it to the next invoice. I'm finding it very immoral that they don't even bother to respond to my letters or email to explain why the charges are still there. 

I'm now at the stage that I will be seeking legal advice, because I can't let it get to a point where I may have to pay £1000+ in waiver charges just to be able to sell my house in the future. 

Edited by MTay

I believe the S.164 notice needs to be served annually, so have you done this?  and kept a copy?  If so ignore the running total they are trying to keep, and just pay your £5.50 ground rent as before.

You should look to purchase the freehold reversion, prices vary but generally speaking you should be looking at £1500-£2000, that gets them off your back for good, and won't foul up any future sale of the property.

3 hours ago, geared said:

I believe the S.164 notice needs to be served annually, so have you done this?  and kept a copy?  If so ignore the running total they are trying to keep, and just pay your £5.50 ground rent as before.

You should look to purchase the freehold reversion, prices vary but generally speaking you should be looking at £1500-£2000, that gets them off your back for good, and won't foul up any future sale of the property.

Yes. As regards s.164 Notices, beware that Coppen will reject any that's not entirely accurate in all respects.

Generally, get proper paid-for advice rather than tangling with Coppen unaided.

• Like 1