Coppen Estates. . . .Sheffield

PAS/Coppen have been buying up leases recently so a whole new swathe of people are being introduced to them.

Very useful thread indeed.

In terms of their annual insurance fee con; is there actually a "requirement" to send your insurance details? Or will simply coughing up to their demands satisfy their snouts? Looking to sell in the not too distant future so at this point I think I'd rather bend over and take it rather than faff about with a s164 notice and risk them playing silly buggers at sale. Awful people.

They're going to mess around come sale time whatever happens.  Notorious for terrible and slow communication, can put your sale at risk of someone pulling out.

Get the freehold reversion purchased, you'll be glad you did.

• Thanks 1

The current  free guide  to compulsory purchase of  freehold title for a  leasehold house ( enfranchisement ) can be downloaded from :

https://www.lease-advice.org/advice-guide/houses-qualification-valuation/

Section 3.1 states :

The house must be a building which is reasonably considered a house, divided vertically from any adjoining house. It does not matter if the building has been divided into flats as long as you have the lease of the whole house.

Certain buildings which contain business premises can qualify as a house within this definition. For example, the lease of a building which is a shop with a flat above may qualify for enfranchisement.

The future leasehold reforms in 2023  by Parliament, may reduce the cost of enfranchisement ( e.g   abolish marriage value ) 

On 20/04/2022 at 19:54, Mongoose said:

PAS/Coppen have been buying up leases recently so a whole new swathe of people are being introduced to them.

Read that as "...buying up freehold reversions..."

They do not usually buy-up leaseholds.

And it's by no means 'recent'. These operations effectively started as long ago as the late 1960s.

On 20/04/2022 at 19:54, Mongoose said:

In terms of their annual insurance fee con; is there actually a "requirement" to send your insurance details? Or will simply coughing up to their demands satisfy their snouts? Looking to sell in the not too distant future so at this point I think I'd rather bend over and take it rather than faff about with a s164 notice and risk them playing silly buggers at sale.

It all depends on the insurance covenants in the lease.

• Thanks 1

On 25/02/2021 at 18:38, SteelCitylass said:

I only paid them every 6 months rather than yearly for the inconvenience to them. I also don't trust them having more money upfront than they are entitled to. 

I did manage to get my documents signed after multiple voice messages left and also calling at their office (despite them saying no personal callers) however, they are unfortunately getting their supposed insurance renewal charges and maintenance from the proceeds of sale as otherwise it would have delayed things further. However, i have been doing some digging on them as a management company and it seems they aren't registered with either the property redress scheme or the property ombudsman which is illegal if so. Therefore, i will be reporting them once everything clears. Hopefully, give them a shock and a massive fine! 

Stop them messing us good folks about! 

I was given this email by my solicitiors for Coppen and PAS. I don't think they make it common knowledge or check or respond but worth a try 

[email protected]

I sent my Ground Rent by cheque on 17th May and added £5_00 in order to

get a receipt along with a self addressed envelope with a first class stamp as requested. 

The cheque was drawn from my account on the 20th May but there is still

no sign of my receipt so I left a message on the 1ST JUNE on the answering 

machine politely requesting my receipt.  How long should I wait before 

making another call or sending an email? 

See most of previous posts! Coppen might reply and issue a receipt- but I don't think it especially likely.

Don't waste your time/money on SAE or telephone calls.

Onn the other hand, a cleared cheque is evidence of payment.

Thanks,my bank statement is proof that I have paid. Took two and a half years for

them to send the invoice due to Covid and a change of Management Company. 

Fortunately I made a copy of the invoice/ statement. I will take your advice and

will decline the invitation to send a stamped self  addressed envelope and fee 

in order to get a receipt in future. ANOTHER PENSIONER MUGGED!!

Still no receipt or replies to my telephone requests.

My degree is not Law but Jeff Shaw might be able to correct 

me if I'm wrong...if I take money off someone and promise to 

give something in return and do not hand over the promised item

is this not tantamount to theft? I even provided a self addressed 

envelope with a first class stamp!! 

On 09/06/2022 at 17:25, Jeffrey Shaw said:

See most of previous posts! Coppen might reply and issue a receipt- but I don't think it especially likely.

Don't waste your time/money on SAE or telephone calls.

Onn the other hand, a cleared cheque is evidence of payment.

You've got your answer already, why are you bothered?

A cleared cheque is evidence of payment, job done.

Honesty,decency,good manners or better still the receipt I paid

for. 

3 hours ago, geared said:

You've got your answer already, why are you bothered?

A cleared cheque is evidence of payment, job done.

Unlikely given their track record.

Take it as a sign, the first opportunity you get to purchase the freehold reversion you should be doing so.