Man shooting squirrels and birds at Stannington.

I walk my dogs on the old college off wood lane.Over the last week i have been seeing dead squirrels,magpies etc.Today i saw a squirrel with its head nearly blown off.

So today i was walking and went up to the top field (the field behind the old college) and saw a woman who walks her dogs there everyday.She says she encountered the man yesterday wearing camouflage gear with the gun on his back with a brindle staffy.

He was hiding in the trees.Her dogs were naturally inquisitive and went to smell and he booted one of her dogs and they had an argument and he says he is not breaking the law.

Now i know some men feel it makes them tough shooting little animals because they need to make up for something but a man in camo gear hiding in trees with a gun 300 yards from 3 different schools (Shooters grove junior,infants and Forge valley) must be breaking the law.

I see kids playing up there all time.I wonder when they will be in the wrong place at the wrong time because a stupid moron with a gun see`s a branch rustle.

Anyone know the law on this? Is he breaking the law that close to schools?

He is male, overweight ,mid 20`s and has a brindle staffy.

It depends where he was. If he's on private land with the permission of the land owner, he's not acting illegally (providing the air rifle is within the legal limit and he's not close - I think it's 100 feet - to the road).

If he's on public land or doesn't have the permission of the private landowner, I believe he's breaking the law.

If he's 300 yards away from the school and the air rifle is at or below the legal limit I think it pretty unlikely his shots would enter school property.

Sounds like the sort of person the police should know about, before he starts shooting anything else.

Bet it makes him feel a big man.

If he's 300 yards away from the school and the air rifle is at or below the legal limit I think it pretty unlikely his shots would enter school property.

Its not so much about it entering school property its kids who play up there on the field and in the trees i would be worried about.

I`m not even sure if its public or private property anymore.It was the councils but i have no idea if its sold or not.

I doubt this man knows what hes doing judeing by his shooting. He needs a gun licences for a start I doubt hes got one or knows how to use a gun in the right way. What worries me hes near schools if he misaims he likley to cause an accident. Guns should be only used by trained people like the Police or the Armed Forces they have years of training unlike this man should be reported to the Police.

It depends where he was. If he's on private land with the permission of the land owner, he's not acting illegally (providing the air rifle is within the legal limit and he's not close - I think it's 100 feet - to the road).

If he's on public land or doesn't have the permission of the private landowner, I believe he's breaking the law.

It is 50ft from the center of the road. and power of under 12 feet pound after that you need a fac.

I doubt this man knows what hes doing judeing by his shooting. He needs a gun licences for a start I doubt hes got one or knows how to use a gun in the right way. What worries me hes near schools if he misaims he likley to cause an accident. Guns should be only used by trained people like the Police or the Armed Forces they have years of training unlike this man should be reported to the Police.

If there are large numbers of dead birds and squirrels around I'd guess that he probably does know how to use a gun!

He needs a gun licence.no you do not if under 12fp or 6fp if a hand gun.

Whether or not he is breaking the law is not the point. Our wildlife is disappearing at an alarming rate due to habitat loss, garden cats, pollution etc and we should all be doing what we can to protect it, not shooting what little is left. He's obviously a sadistic coward who deserves to be shot.

Edited by despritdan
grammatical error

I walk my dogs on the old college off wood lane.Over the last week i have been seeing dead squirrels,magpies etc.Today i saw a squirrel with its head nearly blown off.

So today i was walking and went up to the top field (the field behind the old college) and saw a woman who walks her dogs there everyday.She says she encountered the man yesterday wearing camouflage gear with the gun on his back with a brindle staffy.

He was hiding in the trees.Her dogs were naturally inquisitive and went to smell and he booted one of her dogs and they had an argument and he says he is not breaking the law.

Now i know some men feel it makes them tough shooting little animals because they need to make up for something but a man in camo gear hiding in trees with a gun 300 yards from 3 different schools (Shooters grove junior,infants and Forge valley) must be breaking the law.

I see kids playing up there all time.I wonder when they will be in the wrong place at the wrong time because a stupid moron with a gun see`s a branch rustle.

Anyone know the law on this? Is he breaking the law that close to schools?

He is male, overweight ,mid 20`s and has a brindle staffy.

the argument here is whether he is breaking the law being or shooting on the said land ! if he has permission from the owners then hes doing nothing wrong provided his gun is legal I rather think he aint got permission and shouldnt be shooting on there