Will you ditch the car to use the tram?

Time is the major factor for me, i just don't like waiting for anything

Yea but if you commute in rush hour into/thru Sheffield you will be waiting a LONG TIME.

Also the city has fairly good 3G coverage for your phone or tablet.

Even now some areas of Sheffield are poorly covered by public transport and in some cases no service after a certain time . For an example say someone starts work in the very early hours there might be no service at that time so a car is a must have. The tram while good does not cover all Sheffield at present as many threads on here have shown many would like it to cover more areas like the North and South Sheffield but some would object to it over the time it took to laying down the track . Some people would never give up there beloved car or need a car. For a disabled persons point of view the tram is the best of the lot for access. Buses are hard going plus when I have had to use a First bus many look like skips on wheels. If there was no tram many disabled would still use there cars. I think at the end of the day it comes down to cost and what people like.

We find each year that bits of Sheffield are cut off from other bits of Sheffield by the bus cuts, we can never work out why they got rid of the old 2/59 outer circle bus which connected most of Sheffield up in one way or another :huh:

As for the trams we are approaching nearly 20 years since it was first built and yet it still only serves 25% of the Sheffield area, you see places like Nottingham, Manchester getting funding for new lines and yet again we seem to be bottom of the list

Edited by Victoria Stn

Going to meadowhall shortly, it takes 40 minutes by tram, or about 20 by car... And I'll be warm, have my own space, my music, and room to carry as much stuff as I like...

I've already done this. I gave up my car almost 2 years ago due to rising fuel and upkeep costs and it was the best thing I've ever done. I catch the bus and tram to and from work now and much prefer it. It can be annoying but the amount of money I save and the fact that I'm now so much healthier outweighs any inconvenience

Does anyone know if there is any intention to expand the tram network out to abbeydale/ecclesall road areas?

It seems that the new bus changes are set up to provide better links to use the supertram, I have seen many posts of many supertram thread where people are trying to discuss the good points of people ditching the car to use the supertram but I have not yet seen one person that have said they have

Have you sold or not bought a car and use the tram insyead?

I cannot afford to drive at the moment so use buses trams regular, the tram does obviusly have its floors at peak times of delays ect but in my opinion sheffield has to have one of the best public transport systems\links in the country

Must say I have used the tram a lot recently, it's spot on not bothered about having a car me transport in Sheffield is spot on, especially the tram...

The tram makes you healthier?

Yes, according to this.

Because (in summary):

Traffic casualty rates tend to decline as public transit travel increases in an area.

Public transit reduces pollution emissions per passenger-mile.

U.S. Center for Disease Control recommends that adults average at least 22 daily minutes moderate physical activity, such as brisk walking, to stay fit and healthy. Most public transportation passengers do exercise the recommended amount while walking to and from transit stations and stops.

Traffic fatality rates and diseases resulting from sedentary living.

A growing portion of households would prefer to drive less and rely more on walking and public transit, provided these alternatives are convenient, comfortable, safe and affordable.

When all impacts are considered, improving public transit can be one of the most cost effective ways to achieve public health objectives.

Does anyone know if there is any intention to expand the tram network out to abbeydale/ecclesall road areas?

As far as I know the only plans to extend the network are a branch from meadowhall (using the old railway line) to Rotherham and Parkgate