Anvil Inn, Stannington Road

sydneyoss

Does anyone know if the "Anvil Inn" still there and does anyone have any history facts on the Inn. Its near Malin Bridge and Holme Lane. Any photos would be nice. Also interested in info on the "Holly Bush Inn" also near the Rivelin Valley Road.

Photos would also be nice. Thanks JB:loopy:

I used to live across the road from the Anvil.

My Nan used to take me in there when I was very small and I was allowed to share a shandy with my brother.

I seem to remember her saying that during the blitz, everyone would go and shelter in the cellar of the pub. Especially when a bomb landed behind the houses across from the pub on Stannington Road.

Yep the Anvil is definitely still going, its just up the road from me.

Used to go in quite a bit but not ventured up there in a while.

I believe it got its name from the local forge who had a reputation for producing 'unbreakable' anvils.

Edit: Link

The anvil is probably the best drinkers pub in the S6 area and as mentioned by AndyC, won CAMRA Pub of the Month for August 2005. If you are interested in the history of the pub and indeed the surrounding area, then call in one night and have a chat with Maurice, the Landlord who is fairly genned up on its history. He also has a copy of a thesis which someone did on the pub, Mousehole forge, and the history of anvil production in that area. There are also a couple of local historians who frequent the Anvil who are also clued up on the area. In the bar, there are a couple of cannon balls lying around which were found nearby.These were from the time of the Napolionic wars when there was a nearby cannon testing range and shells would be fired across the valley. There was also a gannister mine just behind the pub. The present building was built in 1934-5, but the original Anvil pub was built just behind it. Hope to see you up there sometime..........The Magnet is excellent!

Thankyou for so much interesting info and if of interest we have a photo of the Anvil Inn in the year 1900. It's actually a family photo. My hubby and I live in Australia and have returned to Sheffield several times. We though the Anvil Inn had been demolished and only found the Holly Bush Inn. Both the inns were run by family ancestors at the turn of the nineteenth century. Thanks again for your reply JB