Stolen Iphone by Taxi Driver - Saturday.

Just thought i'd update everyone - Went to the police station last week and they phoned back saying the council had cctv evidence of the cab registration plate and cab number, They also said I was allover the place :), I think they are going to be in touch with the council to get his details and go have a word with the dodgy cabbie.

Thanks for the update, can I ask what you your ultimate destination was?

No private hire companies can set their own rates,thats what Im saying.

No, what you said was:-

Well private hire companies can charge you what they want, Hacks can't!.

which is quite different from

No private hire companies can set their own rates,thats what Im saying.

you misunderstand me brother.private hire companies can set and charge whatever rates they want,wether it be 1pound a mile or 50pound a mile and they can change them whenever they want.That is the law.

Thanks for the update, can I ask what you your ultimate destination was?

Was going to west one complex and had to stop off at tesco express on west street.

Just thought i'd update everyone - Went to the police station last week and they phoned back saying the council had cctv evidence of the cab registration plate and cab number, They also said I was allover the place :), I think they are going to be in touch with the council to get his details and go have a word with the dodgy cabbie.

I think the fact that the police said you were all over the place would suggest they will take the taxi drivers word over yours unfortunately, unless they have clear video evidence of you giving him the phone and not receiving it back.

Just had the following useful information sent to me in an email...will post in general section too.

3 things you might not have known about your cell phone.

For all the folks with cell phones. (This should be printed and kept in your car, purse, and wallet. Good information to have with you.)

There are a few things that can be done in times of grave emergencies.

Your mobile phone can actually be a life saver or an emergency tool for survival.

Check out the things that you can do with it:

FIRST (Emergency)

The Emergency Number worldwide for Mobile is 112. If you find yourself out of the coverage area of your mobile network and there is an Emergency, dial 112 and the mobile will search any existing network to establish the emergency number for you, and interestingly, this number 112 can be dialed even if the keypad is locked. Try it out.

SECOND (Hidden Battery Power)

Imagine your cell battery is very low. To activate, press the keys *3370#.Your cell phone will restart with this reserve and the instrument will show a 50% increase in battery. This reserve will get charged when you charge your cell phone next time.

THIRD (How to disable a STOLEN mobile phone? )

To check your Mobile phone's serial number, key in the following Digits on your phone:

*#06# .

A 15-digit code will appear on the screen. This number is unique to your handset. Write it down and keep it somewhere safe.

If your phone is stolen, you can phone your service provider and give them this code. They will then be able to block your handset so even if the thief changes the SIM card, your phone will be totally useless. You probably won't get your phone back, but at least you know that whoever stole it can't use/sell it either. If everybody does this, there would be no point in people stealing mobile

you misunderstand me brother.private hire companies can set and charge whatever rates they want,wether it be 1pound a mile or 50pound a mile and they can change them whenever they want.That is the law.

Im not sure they can just change them 'when they want' - im pretty sure they have to inform the council of their rates.

And just about all the main ones in Sheffield (City, Mercury) charge the same and always have.

When I was on the taxi,s I often got asked to stop at a cash machine or shop for some fags. That is simple enough until you charge them waiting time over the mileage rate they are expecting to pay.

Thats when the s!*t hits the fan!

People do no not want to pay for waiting time and believe it to be wrong to do so. But put it this way. Instead of saying can you just pull up at Tesco Express why I just nip in for some fags, why not say do you mind if I stop you earning for a few minutes while I just nip in Tesco's for some cancer sticks?

On the taxi,s this can happen several times in a day and the minutes add up to lost paid miles time.

I always stated there will be waiting time charged. The mardy ones spit the dummy out and after insulting me they me to carry on without the shopping. There loss.

Glad to be of the taxi's. The words 'just nip' and 'mate' still do my head in even today.

SECOND (Hidden Battery Power)

Imagine your cell battery is very low. To activate, press the keys *3370#.Your cell phone will restart with this reserve and the instrument will show a 50% increase in battery. This reserve will get charged when you charge your cell phone next time.

This info is incorrect. This is a code for Nokia phones only and actually causes battery to drain quicker.

*3370# This Nokia code activates Enhanced Full Rate Codec (EFR) - Your Nokia cell phone uses the best sound quality but talk time is reduced my approx. 5%.

Most phones to my knowledge only have one battery. Some old Nokias had 2 but the second battery was a small non rechargeable watch type battery which was purely there just to keep the time when the battery was removed.

Also as the OP states earlier, make sure you have an app like Find my Iphone or similar, you can get them for Android too, not sure about BlackBerry, but these could prove very useful! Also I know on the iPhone (if jailbroke) you can get an app which takes a photo when the incorrect security code is entered, and emails it to you...

black cab - had flagged him down on penistone road by the peugeot dealership.

Says it all really.

There is a possibility that if you was drunk then he took the opportunity to run off rather than risk you being sick in his cab or being abusive. He may not have even known your phone was an iPhone.