Cyclist inches from being hit - driver oblivious

NewBiz

Given that they primarily pose a danger to themselves, there's no point in spending money on enforcement.

If there are persistent offenders (and I think there are) then you should report them and a nice PC on his own mountain bike can arrest them the next day when they run the same light.

None of which is remotely related to the original post, which was about a car pulling out with indicating or checking the way was clear. Do you think that the fact that some cyclists break the rules means that car drivers should do so?

So , how do you suggest identifying cyclists who jump red lights, make illegal turns and commit other road traffic offences , or are you happy for cyclists to be able to do what they like on the roads and be totally unanswerable for these offences. ?

Who identifies these people then? You?? What do you propose to do with this information?, report it to the Police?

As I said to another user, stand at any main junction/roundabout/crossing and note down every traffic offence you witness and report them all to the Police. They'll do you for wasting Police time

Lets imagine how this might go.....

You - Dear Mr Police, I am reporting a cyclist running a red light, here is the registration number.

Police to Cyclist, after they've been tracked down - Mr cyclist, we have a report of you running a red light

Cyclist to Police - No I didn't

Police to Cyclist - erm...Someone says you did

Cyclist to Police - No I didn't

Repeat ad-infinitum.....

Eventual outcome? Nothing, money and Police time wasted as it's your word against cyclist. A similar outcome would occur were I to report a car driver running a red light. The problem just doesn't exist, it's not important enough to warrant any change.

Regardless, it's not going to happen

Edited by wibbles

Given that they primarily pose a danger to themselves, there's no point in spending money on enforcement.

If there are persistent offenders (and I think there are) then you should report them and a nice PC on his own mountain bike can arrest them the next day when they run the same light.

None of which is remotely related to the original post, which was about a car pulling out with indicating or checking the way was clear. Do you think that the fact that some cyclists break the rules means that car drivers should do so?

But again ,with cyclists being un-licenced they basically have free reign to commit the same offences over and over again with no framework in place to ban them from the roads for persistent offending . Motorist have a four strikes and out rule as far as our licences are concerned . four offences and we have to serve a ban from the roads , where as cyclists have no such threat hanging over them, so have no incentive to obey them laws of the roads.

Do you agree that cyclists should be licenced and should have to play by the same rules as motorists . ?

So , how do you suggest identifying cyclists who jump red lights, make illegal turns and commit other road traffic offences , or are you happy for cyclists to be able to do what they like on the roads and be totally unanswerable for these offences. ?

As most cyclists are clothed could you not record what they are wearing?