Cyclist inches from being hit - driver oblivious

NewBiz

You think that reporting them and then arresting them the next day is stupid? But spending billions is a good idea. I think you're good your priorities screwed up.

Billions of pounds..?

Government bureaucracy, New laws, enforcement, etc.

What do you think it would cost?

Who do you prosecute when you catch a 12 year old with no registration on his bike?

Did he actually say that?

Don't know about you but I think "billions" is quite a lot of money..

He said nothing of the sort about doing away with the car registration scheme. He merely was saying that creating a registration scheme for bicycles was an expensive waste.

Yes I know..I never said that cyclone said to do away with the car reg. system.. I said he said it was expensive.. :confused:

Yes I know..I never said that cyclone said to do away with the car reg. system.. I said he said it was expensive.. :confused:

I understood your post below as to meaning so. Apologies for the misunderstanding :)

Fine.. so lets do away with the expensive ( according to Cyclone) car registration system then .. seems we agree on something at least :) you've bloomin' edited again...

The same would apply to a cycle registration scheme, but it'd cost the tax payer money for what gain? Where's the problem, what's the issue? There isn't one that merits that sort of investment.

Absolutely, what is the problem? That you witness Highway Code infractions? That cyclists endanger themselves in riding through red lights? That you occasionally have to avoid a cyclist by overtaking them? That you might be held up by seconds because you can't pass them? That they get to use the roads free of charge (despite their zero level pollution, the health benefits of cycling, their tiny road 'footprint')?

Arguments about road safety for cyclists inevitably devolve into this kind of line of reasoning. It's the cycling version of Godwin's Law.

The salient point is not that there are cyclists who break the rules of the road, but that they frequently get killed because of a driver's actions, either through dangerous driving or drivers failing to notice them.

What do people get out of bashing cyclists and insisting on registration for them? It's rather like saying that you don't like walking behind slow pedestrians, therefore something should be done about them - tax them more, get rid of them. It's a ridiculous argument, frankly.

Edited by alas_alas

It's not ok anyone one to break the rules, but registering cycles will do nothing but cost the tax payer more money. Do you want a cyclist to be prosecuted for running a red light?....is that the point?

I still can't figure out the main agenda

Not if a levy is charged on new cycles at the point of purchase , say 20% added to the cost of a new cycle , which could then be "ringfenced" and used to cover the cost of a registration scheme. :)