Indian restaurants, are Halal slaughtered animals always stunned ?

Oh dear.

I`m a big fan of Indian food and we go to Indians all over the UK.

The problem is it`s been pointed out to me that meat served at Indian restaurants is Halal. As far as I understand it, please correct me if I`m wrong, the animal is strung up whilst still alive then has its neck cut to drain out all the blood till it dies.

Now I thought by law the animal had to be stunned first and if that`s the case I could cope with it and continue to visit Indian restaurants. But if it isn`t the case.......

So two questions.

1 Is all meat served at Indian restaurants Halal ?

2 Are all Halal slaughtered animals stunned first ?

Edited by Justin Smith

Oh dear.

The problem is it`s been pointed out to me that meat served at Indian restaurants is Halal. As far as I understand it, please correct me if I`m wrong, the animal is strung up whilst still alive then has its neck cut to drain out all the blood till it dies.

Now I thought by law the animal had to be stunned first and if that`s the case I could cope with it and continue to visit Indian restaurants. But if it isn`t the case.......

So two questions.

no.1 dont know. no.2 when I was a butcher the ritual slaughter--at that time meaning jewish-- and the halal I think is classed as ritual, was exempted from stunning. not sure what the position is today.

From my understanding, animals killed by the halal method are not stunned, unlike the 'normal' way of slaughtering animals in the UK.

This is why some people are against halal, because they think it is cruel.

I'm not sure whether all Indian restaurants use halal meat, they will probably advertise if they do, or ask the staff.

You could always make your own, or choose vegetarian dishes.

Oh dear.

So two questions.

The simple answer is No & No. Not all Indians are muslims and as far as halal meat is concerned, experts estimate that around 85-90% of animals in the UK are 'stunned' before their throats are cut.

Oh dear.

So two questions.

<my bold>

And

3) The $64,000 dollar question:- did you do any proper research into the Muslim laws regarding how an animal is to be slaughtered, to be considered Halal, under Halal rules?

The animal is not strung up until after the throat is slit. The slitting of the throat is done in such a way, using a razor-sharp knife, that the animal feels as little pain as possible, and it loses consciousness pretty much instantaneously because of the massive drop in blood pressure due to huge blood loss as the four major blood vessels on each side of the neck (the carotid and the Jugular) are severed.

This is the document I quoted over in the "Halal Chip Shop In Firth Park" thread, the other day:-

Islamic Shariah (law) relating to slaughter of animals or poultry

Animal and birds should have preferably been raised in a natural environment.

Their feed should not contain animal-based products.

Animals and poultry at farms or lairages must be cared for properly.

They must be fed and watered before slaughter.

They must receive ante-mortem inspection so that only healthy animals are brought in for slaughter.

In the slaughterhouse animals must not be able to see other animals being slaughtered, nor must they have sight of blood. This requires cleaning the area before the next slaughter.

There must be no cruelty to animals or poultry at any time. The slaughter man must be a Muslim, who has been properly trained and licensed. (my bold)

All slaughtering must be carried out in a licensed slaughterhouse.

Places where pigs are slaughtered should be avoided.

The slaughter man must use a sharp knife (which must not be sharpened in front of the animal).

He must sever the jugular veins and carotid arteries as well as the oesophagus and trachea, but not the spinal cord as this restricts convulsion, which in turn restricts the pumping out of blood.

At the time of slaughter he must pronounce Bismillah Allahu Akbar (In the name of God, God is the Greatest) on each animal or bird.

At all times the meat and general hygiene regulations must be complied with.

Any carcasses found unfit on post mortem inspection must not be used for food for human consumption.

You might find this factsheet from the RSPCA dated March 2011 interesting regarding pre-stunning of halal meat, which broadly concurs with what Expat_owl says

http://content.www.rspca.org.uk/cmsprd/Satellite?blobcol=urldata&blobheader=application%2Fpdf&blobkey=id&blobnocache=false&blobtable=MungoBlobs&blobwhere=1232998853713&ssbinary=true

No animal should be slaughtered for out benefit.

I don't fancy taking a bite out of a live pig.

<my bold>

and

3) the $64,000 dollar question:- did you do any proper research into the muslim laws regarding how an animal is to be slaughtered, to be considered halal, under halal rules?

The animal is not strung up until after the throat is slit. The slitting of the throat is done in such a way, using a razor-sharp knife, that the animal feels as little pain as possible, and it loses consciousness pretty much instantaneously because of the massive drop in blood pressure due to huge blood loss as the four major blood vessels on each side of the neck (the carotid and the jugular) are severed.

This is the document i quoted over in the "halal chip shop in firth park" thread, the other day:-

islamic shariah (law) relating to slaughter of animals or poultry

animal and birds should have preferably been raised in a natural environment.

Their feed should not contain animal-based products.

Animals and poultry at farms or lairages must be cared for properly.

They must be fed and watered before slaughter.

They must receive ante-mortem inspection so that only healthy animals are brought in for slaughter.

In the slaughterhouse animals must not be able to see other animals being slaughtered, nor must they have sight of blood. This requires cleaning the area before the next slaughter.

there must be no cruelty to animals or poultry at any time. The slaughter man must be a muslim, who has been properly trained and licensed. (my bold)

all slaughtering must be carried out in a licensed slaughterhouse.

Places where pigs are slaughtered should be avoided.

The slaughter man must use a sharp knife (which must not be sharpened in front of the animal).

He must sever the jugular veins and carotid arteries as well as the oesophagus and trachea, but not the spinal cord as this restricts convulsion, which in turn restricts the pumping out of blood.

At the time of slaughter he must pronounce bismillah allahu akbar (in the name of god, god is the greatest) on each animal or bird.

At all times the meat and general hygiene regulations must be complied with.

Any carcasses found unfit on post mortem inspection must not be used for food for human consumption.

stun the animal first!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Basics

I don't fancy taking a bite out of a live pig.

Lol!!!:hihi:

Most Indians aren't muslims, only about 20% i think, therefore the vast majority of genuine Indian restaurants don't serve halal meat. Most of the 'Indian' restaurants in these parts tend to be Pakistani owned, so in most of these halal will be served.

People could vote with their feet and insist that they will only eat halal meat if it has been stunned before slaughter.

In my opinion the government should make stunning prior to halal slaughter complusory.

Lol!!!:hihi:

Most Indians aren't muslims, only about 20% i think, therefore the vast majority of genuine Indian restaurants don't serve halal meat. Most of the 'Indian' restaurants in these parts tend to be Pakistani owned, so in most of these halal will be served.

People could vote with their feet and insist that they will only eat halal meat if it has been stunned before slaughter.

In my opinion the government should make stunning prior to halal slaughter complusory.

Of the Indians we`ve been into very few seem to be run or employ Indians, virtually all of them are run by/employ Pakistanis or Bangladeshis. One interesting exception to this was the "Indian" we ate at in Lerwick (Shetland), that was owned and run by Nepalese !

Of the Indians we`ve been into very few seem to be run or employ Indians, virtually all of them are run by/employ Pakistanis or Bangladeshis. One interesting exception to this was the "Indian" we ate at in Lerwick (Shetland), that was owned and run by Nepalese !

How do you distinguish between the Indians and others,or do you ask restauranteurs which they employ?I understood they all were Indian before the 1947 partition.

Seems to be mixed views on whether stunning is allowed. Take KFC's halal chickens for example-they are stunned but still halal

http://www.kfc.co.uk/about-kfc/halal

edit- I notice the only way you can tell if your KFC sells only halal meat (for those that dont agree with it) is by the HFA logo sticker on the door- a sticker that doesnt even mention the word 'Halal' - unless you can read arabic(?)

logo here

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?hl=en&safe=off&biw=1441&bih=710&tbm=isch&tbnid=NVtxluZS7O5PcM:&imgrefurl=http://www.rajfoods.com/halal_accreditation.html&docid=lL4cIwrGQh7BRM&imgurl=http://www.rajfoods.com/images/hfa.gif&w=210&h=308&ei=LP1yUIjlKqKp0QX-xYDYAQ&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=800&vpy=138&dur=2876&hovh=246&hovw=168&tx=73&ty=96&sig=102269219591787391173&page=1&tbnh=161&tbnw=110&start=0&ndsp=19&ved=1t:429,r:4,s:0,i:80

Edited by lil-minx92