Indian restaurants, are Halal slaughtered animals always stunned ?

Earlier this year there was an interesting debate on BBC's the big question about halal & kosher meat which some of you might find interesting:

But there are no (additional) welfare concerns if the meat is pre-stunned as it is in conventional slaughter methods and KFC outlets that sell halal meat. The label is most likely there to inform their Muslim customers, many of whom will be able to read arabic.

The Halal method of slaughter is barbaric, even McDonalds refuse to introduce Halal meat to their menu.

Go on Youtube and search Halal slaughter and see for yourself.

Now I didn't care about eating Halal meat a while ago, as far as I used to know, all they did was say a prayer, which I couldn't care less about, I had no issues eating it. But after realising the unecessary suffering these animals go through, i find it frankly unethical to eat.

The Halal method of slaughter is barbaric, even McDonalds refuse to introduce Halal meat to their menu.

Now I didn't care about eating Halal meat a while ago, as far as I used to know, all they did was say a prayer, which I couldn't care less about, I had no issues eating it. But after realising the unecessary suffering these animals go through, i find it frankly unethical to eat.

Have you taken the time to read the other posts on this thread?

From my understanding, animals killed by the halal method are not stunned, unlike the 'normal' way of slaughtering animals in the UK.

This is why some people are against halal, because they think it is cruel.

I'm not sure whether all Indian restaurants use halal meat, they will probably advertise if they do, or ask the staff.

You could always make your own, or choose vegetarian dishes.

Because of schools having a portion of pupils from muslim families, schools now serve halal (un stunned) meat. This is served to all the pupils whether they want it or not.

Have you taken the time to read the other posts on this thread?

What's your point?

I'm commenting on evidence I've seen that Halal slaughter is barbaric and unethical.

Just because somebody on here has said they die so quickly that it's painless doesn't mean it's true, I've seen lots of evidence to the contrary so I believe it's barbaric.

Form your own opinion from the evidence you've seen, if you come to the conclusion it's not barbaric from what you think is evidence that's been posted on here then fair play to you.

I'm not going to tell you what to think, but from what I've seen, animals suffer unecessarily because of an imaginary man in the sky.

Well McDonald's over here might not introduce Halal Meat, maybe because the same kitchen where the Halal would be cooked would also deal with pork products...

Also on the same note McDonald's in Arab countries do serve Halal meat.

Where the demand is high, McDonald's will go.

Seems to be mixed views on whether stunning is allowed. Take KFC's halal chickens for example-they are stunned but still halal

http://www.kfc.co.uk/about-kfc/halal

edit- I notice the only way you can tell if your KFC sells only halal meat (for those that dont agree with it) is by the HFA logo sticker on the door- a sticker that doesnt even mention the word 'Halal' - unless you can read arabic(?)

logo here

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?hl=en&safe=off&biw=1441&bih=710&tbm=isch&tbnid=NVtxluZS7O5PcM:&imgrefurl=http://www.rajfoods.com/halal_accreditation.html&docid=lL4cIwrGQh7BRM&imgurl=http://www.rajfoods.com/images/hfa.gif&w=210&h=308&ei=LP1yUIjlKqKp0QX-xYDYAQ&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=800&vpy=138&dur=2876&hovh=246&hovw=168&tx=73&ty=96&sig=102269219591787391173&page=1&tbnh=161&tbnw=110&start=0&ndsp=19&ved=1t:429,r:4,s:0,i:80

Interestingly the law is probably about to change.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2119993/Now-theyll-tell-eating-halal-Ministers-prepare-change-law.html

Ministers are preparing to change the law to ensure that meat slaughtered in accordance with strict Islamic law cannot be sold to unwitting members of the public.

The Government is drawing up plans to prevent schools, hospitals, pubs and famous sporting venues from serving halal meat secretly to customers.

The move will be welcomed by animal rights campaigners, who argue that the traditional Islamic way of preparing meat – which involves killing animals by drawing a knife across their throats without stunning them first – is cruel and causes unnecessary pain.

It follows a Mail on Sunday investigation in September 2010 which discovered that beef, chicken and lamb had been sold to fans at Wembley without them knowing it had been prepared in accordance with sharia law.

Cheltenham College was found to be one of several public schools serving halal chicken to pupils without informing them, while Whitbread, Britain’s biggest hotel and restaurant group, admitted that more than three- quarters of its poultry was halal. MPs were furious to discover halal meat had even been sold in House of Commons canteens without them knowing.

Now Environment Minister Lord Taylor of Holbeach has said that if the European Union fails to agree on a new food labelling scheme, the UK will take action. The European Commission is considering the matter as part of its animal welfare strategy and is expected to report by the summer.

Lord Taylor told peers: ‘The Government welcomes this approach as it will allow consumer information to be considered alongside measures to minimise the suffering of animals slaughtered without stunning. In the meantime we are considering how we can use domestic legislation.’

Sharia law expressly forbids knocking out an animal with a bolt gun – the method normally used in British slaughterhouses. Instead, the animal must be sentient when its throat is cut, with the blood allowed to drip from the carcass while a religious phrase in praise of Allah is recited.

Edited by Dingus

You know no matter how we kill the animal to eat it, it will still suffer whether it be a bolt through the head or its neck being slit.

Million dollar question: if you care so much about causing NO suffering to an animal, then why do you eat meat?

Sometimes that initial bolt doesn't send them unconscious and so they have to try again leaving the animal to suffer, this is suffering just as much as if a successful cut was not made along the neck to kill it almost instantly.

Well I've really good news for you, if you're not troubled by your meat having had some mumbo jumbo ranted over it prior to slaughter then you'll pleased to know that the halal meat you're likely to eat has been pre-stunned just as conventional meat is.

In fact some might argue that the method of pre stunning halal meat is MORE humane since they use a light electric current rather than a metal bolt which penetrates the skull. Halal animals also avoid the stress of witnessing their cohorts being slaughtered, this isn't the case in conventional slaughter methods.

This report from the RSPCA (that's what I was suggesting you should read) confirms the % of different types of ritually slaughtered animals which are pre-stunned, you might be surprised by the numbers.

http://content.www.rspca.org.uk/cmsprd/Satellite?blobcol=urldata&blobheader=application%2Fpdf&blobkey=id&blobnocache=false&blobtable=MungoBlobs&blobwhere=1232998853713&ssbinary=true

Well I've really good news for you, if you're not troubled by your meat having had some mumbo jumbo ranted over it prior to slaughter then you'll pleased to know that the halal meat you're likely to eat has been pre-stunned just as conventional meat is.

In fact some might argue that the method of pre stunning halal meat is MORE humane since they use a light electric current rather than a metal bolt which penetrates the skull. Halal animals also avoid the stress of witnessing their cohorts being slaughtered, this isn't the case in conventional slaughter methods.

This report from the RSPCA (that's what I was suggesting you should read) confirms the % of different types of ritually slaughtered animals which are pre-stunned, you might be surprised by the numbers.

http://content.www.rspca.org.uk/cmsprd/Satellite?blobcol=urldata&blobheader=application%2Fpdf&blobkey=id&blobnocache=false&blobtable=MungoBlobs&blobwhere=1232998853713&ssbinary=true

Pleased to hear that most animals ARE stunned before slaughter, still think stunning should be mandatory.

Our method of killing animals can also be very cruel, I think somebody posted on here once about how the captive bolt method of stunning, sometimes the bolt does not hit the animal in the right place resulting in an extremely painful and traumatic death for the beast.

But there are no (additional) welfare concerns if the meat is pre-stunned as it is in conventional slaughter methods and KFC outlets that sell halal meat. The label is most likely there to inform their Muslim customers, many of whom will be able to read arabic.

Not all agree that it is 'proper' halal-

http://www.thenational.ae/news/world/europe/halal-dispute-over-kentucky-fried-chicken