Bedroom tax on council tenants

After paying rent for 30 years to gain the maximum discount you can buy it and then the government will supposedly build a new council house...

30 years of rent will cover the cost of the property many times over though.

Alternativley Why not pay mortgage for 30 years, job done!

Another gripe ive got is girls who get pregnant just to be given a council property, with most bills covered, If you are a drug abuser, alcoholic, suffer from ADHD, you can get mobility allowance, im an amputee and can,t even get a blue badge for my car because im told i can walk to the nearest bus stop from my home un-aided

Another gripe ive got is girls who get pregnant just to be given a council property, with most bills covered, If you are a drug abuser, alcoholic, suffer from ADHD, you can get mobility allowance, im an amputee and can,t even get a blue badge for my car because im told i can walk to the nearest bus stop from my home un-aided

Of course, you will find that in reality, it doesn't actually work like that at all. (whether or not it worked like that in the past is a debate for another time)

Of course, you will find that in reality, it doesn't actually work like that at all. (whether or not it worked like that in the past is a debate for another time)

Very few young people in council housing/housing association housing. My block of flats is full of older men. I am the youngest tenant. Would be nice to have a better mix in the block. Some younger people for example, but with the lack of housing these people are unable to access housing, they lack space.

Access to space is very important. For mental well being and also physical well being.

A spare room is something that can be used to start a business.

You can purchase a 'medallion' in New York, so that you can drive a cab.

Some are owned by individuals and many are owned by companies. They are a barrier to entrance and impoverish both customers and new drivers.

There is a monopoly upon these medallions, and there is a barrier to enter the taxi market. In a free-market, more people would become taxi drivers and take advantage of high fares, fares would be pushed down. This does not happen.

A medallion costs $704 000.

You would argue that there is no monopoly upon medallions. When there clearly is. Much like there is a monopoly on land and housing in the UK.

Good grief, no wonder they had to stop making that old Danny DeVito comedy, "Taxi" :hihi:

On a more serious note, and I am genuinely asking the question, when the council sold off the council houses to people who wanted to buy and own their own, what did they do with all the money? It obviously did not get spent on maintaining roads, so where did it go?

Very few young people in council housing/housing association housing. My block of flats is full of older men.

Exactly the problem.

Presumably some of these people had jobs and COULD have bettered themselves and found better accommodation. Something more befitting an older person.

They chose, as you have, not to.

Society is to blame, NOT the council.

Its my opinion that social housing should be available for anyone who wants it. The government should start a mass building program to boost the economy.. Owner Occupation is out of the reach of more people now and private sector rents are too high for low earners, ensuring they have to apply for benefits. This is silly why not just provide homes at lower rents...

It is not wrong if it is done in a manner that those who need the extra rooms remain unaffected by it.

If someone needs a room for kids they may have a few times a month, fine they should be unaffected.

if someone needs extra room for genuine health reasons, they should be unaffected.

If someone wants a three bedroom house but has no actual need for it, they should pay or move.

I agree with this why should my taxes pay for someone who wants to live in a home with spare bedrooms when they dont need them - I would much rather they were spent on services for everyone to enjoy.

Good grief, no wonder they had to stop making that old Danny DeVito comedy, "Taxi" :hihi:

On a more serious note, and I am genuinely asking the question, when the council sold off the council houses to people who wanted to buy and own their own, what did they do with all the money? It obviously did not get spent on maintaining roads, so where did it go?

The government refused local authorities permission to use any of the money from RTB sales in replacing housing that was lost from the social housing stock.

Not actually sure what it was spent on...