Lance Armstrong drops fight against doping charges.

Fudbeer

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/aug/24/lance-armstrong-fight-doping-charges?newsfeed=true

Always thought Lance was one of the few who didn't dope all the stuff about being the most tested athlete ever ect ect,however some of the evidence that came to light in the last year or so particularly the fact that 10 members of his own team were prepared to testify they saw him doping including his friend you have to start thinking something is going on.

Sad day for cycling but I think most believe he did dope now but you have to remember that during taht period doping and particular epo (where you have a blood transfusion in order to increase red blood cells which carry oxeygen) at the time was very hard to detect) was the probably the norm.

I read his book and was convinced he was innocent until he started defending his banned doping doctor friend who once desscribed doping as little worse than orange juice!

I think it would have been best to leave it. If he'd won one or two Tours they would have done.

They've basically admitted they couldn't test properly in that period because he never tested positive. That admission means that it's highly likely most riders were using EPO, and I'd suggest that it's pretty likely all of the competitive ones were - sadly I am also aware that might be a massive slight to someone who was consistently coming 6th or 7th behind doped rider.

If the shortcomings in testing mean that lots were doing it, I think it's best to just move on and learn - the testing wasn't good enough, but the riders were considered to have won at the time. I suspect if you looked at every TdF winner with the same rigour you'd find dopers amongst them - remember Tommy Simpson died of a heart attack having taken amphetamines on the Tour in 1967, and there is no suggestion he was unusual.

Bjarne Riis is still recorded as the winner in 1996, and he has admitted he was using EPO between 1993 and 1998.

I think it's likely Armstrong used drugs, but if he did, he passed the same tests as everyone else at the time, and won the event against others who were also using drugs, including his own team. I think you have to just put him down as the winner and move on.

This has all the hallmarks of a modern witch-hunt against Armstrong. The USADA is a joke of an organisation. Perhaps Armstrong did cheat by modern standards but he passed all tests put before him so any cheating must surely have been replicated by all those he rode against.

Armstrong's statement can be found here:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/cycling/08-22-12%20lance%20final.pdf

Something stinks in this Armstrong fiasco, you don't know what hidden agendas people have, for example

some of his Tour de France team-mates my consider they have not had enough recognition for supporting

him and so this is a sort of payback time. It maybe someone in the Anti-doping Agency doesn't like Armstrong

and so they are using all their power and infuluence to discredit him.

Maybe there should be a 3000km race where the cyclist are allowed to use whatever drugs they like, it would be

instresting just to see who entered such a competition!

The unfortunate side of this affair is that it throws suspicion on all TDF winners, rightly or wrongly. I find it difficult to believe that Wiggins could be guilty too. Greg Lamond came out strongly against LA long before this current affair. But the Anti Doping Agency should not have the power to ban him for life. That should be the job of the USCF, and only after a trial by judge and jury.

The problem is that so many people were involved in doping through the Armstrong era that you could end up with the 3rd, 4th or 5th placed rider winning the tour. Jan Ullric finished 2nd several times and his record is tarnished, Ivan Basso, Klodden, Beloki and many others from that era the same.

You would think that after all the tests before and after each event you would be clean and dry with the race positions.

What person in their madness would think that they can strip the honours of any athlete for longer than the time that that person was last tested. The seven Tour de France wins should still stand and why American agencies think that France will have to listen to them is laughable.

The fight against drugs use and other performance enhancement techniques is an ongoing conflict between the athletes and the agencies trying to keep them clean.

It's not surprising that the tests are defeated quite a lot, they are continuously playing catch up.

What American agencies matter? The TdF is French, if they say he didn't win, then he didn't win.

The fight against drugs use and other performance enhancement techniques is an ongoing conflict between the athletes and the agencies trying to keep them clean.

It's not surprising that the tests are defeated quite a lot, they are continuously playing catch up.

What American agencies matter? The TdF is French, if they say he didn't win, then he didn't win.

If he did not win the glory will be shared among those proven cheats who served bans.

Archived