Dog Wardens / Staffie Cross @ Millhouse Park

I agree with Evei it's the LAW to have a tag on your dog with your name and address, yet hardly anyone seems to bother. It's easy and cheap and could mean that your dog can be walked to your house in 10 mins rather than end up at the pound. Why people don't have tags (and up to date microchip as a backup) I really cannot understand. There's even different types of tags that go over the collar if you don't like having a dangling tag (personally though I like this though as it makes a noise so you can hear the dog too!).

Also if people didn't just leave their dogs outside unsupervised I bet there'd be less that go missing - how many times have we heard on this forum alone 'escaped (or worse stolen) from garden' etc :roll:

We found a dog wandering once in Whirlow and luckily it had a tag with tel number on and address, we managed to reunite with owners very swiftly. If the dog slips its collar then we're stuffed again, but I agree it's better than nothing. :)

Response from council.....

Thank you for your e mail.

Firstly, can I say how sorry I was to see that by doing the responsible thing and taking both the best interests of the dog and the general public on board you were inconvenienced and given inaccurate information. I would also like to thank you for ensuring that neither the dog, nor anyone else, came to harm.

I will be raising with this issue with the dog warden service, in particular what systems operate outside of normal office hours, when I would assume the majority of stray dogs are found and how these procedures are communicated to the 101 service and indeed the general public.

I will share the reply with you and we can decide, in light of this, on any further action.

Thank you, once again.

David

FABULOUS - well done Auntibiz for doing this. Its the only way anything ever gets done - constant complaining but to the people who are in charge and can make decisions or implement improvements. Often, they are totally oblivious about any problem - unless ENOUGH of their constituents complain about it.

Nobody moans or complains about strays - because nobody - other than the dog, and the few owners who loose their dogs, actually complain correctly. People sort out the problem they are experiencing at the time, moan about it - because its WRONG what happens, and then carry on and never do anything about it again. So, Councils and Govt. are oblivious to the problems experienced.

The state of irresponsible dog breeding and ownership in our country is abysmal. Only the pets and those who see it, suffer. The Govt. will ONLY make changes if enough

So, thank you for trying to be part of that solution.

Regarding the microchip question - I would say about 1/4 of all dogs taken into rescue are chipped and then 50/50 of them are reclaimed the other 50% haven't updated their details and they are usually the ones that don't want them back anyway. If they wanted them back they would drive round every pound possible to see if their dog was waiting for them there.

I'd forgotten the following until I read one of the posts which reminded me..... the first autumn we had our rescue dog she was off lead in Graves Park and ran off when she heard a firework (she was the first dog I'd had, I was a complete novice at it and she'd always been fine before she heard the sound). I searched and searched through the woods, calling and calling until I finally gave up and made my way back to the car park. I then saw a car's headlights shining onto the park, and went over to the car - to see my errant animal sitting on the passenger's knee.

These kind people had seen my dog sitting shivering at the roadside. They'd picked her up and figured that someone in the park might be looking for her so parked up with their headlights on in the hope that the owner would see them.

I will always owe a debt to those caring people.

I do my bit to pick up strays in the expectation that they 'belong to people like us' ie people who are distraught about losing their dog (and then try to find the owners) and, if they don't, at least the dogs will be safe. I hate the reality of the pound with its increasing charges and will take all steps ie checking collar/chip to save the dog going there but if there's no identification, at least the dog won't get run over or picked up by Bad People and the owner gets a chance to be reunited.

I think the least a council should offer is a 24 hr drop off point for dogs that are found (out of hrs) that way it could cut down on the risk of a stray dog causing a accident .

I agree. It should be the least that a civilised society should offer - but if it does, should the price (upon collection) reflect the cost of the service? And therein lies the issue - some people just don't have the funds to pay the collection fee. Should it be free? So anyone can afford to collect their escapee? Or should it be means tested? (I'd say yes) But then, there are people who are not on any benefits who just can't find the money to pay to collect their much-loved dog.

But someone has to pay for the staffing (why should anyone give up their time for free?) and someone has to pay for the accommodation etc.

When i started this thread I was meaning that there should be a place that dogs could be dropped of by public 24/7 ,This would be for dropping off dogs only.

When the Police dumped the problem on the council a few years ago - they left them with the problem but I believe no (or very minimum ) additional funding. It was never thought through - never had additional funds to support it - it was disgusting what happened and what still happens.

The Government just sweep this whole dog problem under the carpet - its not happening, it isn't there. WELL IT IS THERE - IT IS A PROBLEM.

Unless the public complain about it, it will continue to grow as a problem. Dogs in this country and dog ownership is getting out of control and the Govt are just pathetically sitting on the fence about it, dropping in the odd stupid law which causes more problems than it resolves. The general public - don't really know what to do about it - so typically - we don't do anything until its too late.

I am exactly the same, I don't know what should be done, so don't do anything - apart from mop up the problem.

All i know is that its not right the way its going with dog ownership and responsibility.

I then thought I would phone Millhouses Animal Sanctuary to see if they could take the dog until the dog wardens could come out and collect (whenever that would be!) and I was given short shrift by an extremly rude lady who told me "you'll just have to take it!!" I advised her she wasn't being very helpful and she shouted sdown the phone at whoch point I hung up. Not exactly a good advert for an animal sanctuary!

Have you ever visited Millhouse Animal Sanctuary? A tiny place in the middle of nowhere in the Mayfield Valley. Packed to bursting like every other place at the moment. I'm not really surprised she gave you short shrift - were you really expecting them to come out and take it from you?

Edited by irenewilde

Have you ever visited Millhouses Animal Sanctuary? A tiny place in the middle of nowhere in the Mayfield Valley. Packed to bursting like every other place at the moment. I'm not really surprised she gave you short shrift - were you really expecting them to come out and take it from you?

No I wasn't exepcting them to come out and take it from me and I never said that was the case did I? What I did expect is some civility (which doesn't cost anything) from someone who works/volunteers at an animal rescue centre when I was trying to ensure a stray dog wouldn't come to any harm, surely exactly the same reason rescue centres are there!!

Regarding the microchip question - I would say about 1/4 of all dogs taken into rescue are chipped and then 50/50 of them are reclaimed the other 50% haven't updated their details and they are usually the ones that don't want them back anyway. If they wanted them back they would drive round every pound possible to see if their dog was waiting for them there.

That is so sad :( That works out that 1/8 are well loved pets that get back to their owners and the other 7/8 are dogs that are on the streets because the owner no longer wants them :( Maybe the council need to spend the money on a hand over and advice service instead, educating the owner that after 7 days the dog will be pts and that is the real outcome for the dog and offering advice for problems to prevent the owner getting to the stage of giving up?

7 out of 8 roaming dogs are roaming because they are unwanted, that is a big expense for a warden to be out trying to catch them when they could be handed over, saving many man hours. I know people can hand a dog in at the pound but I do not think it is well known. I do feel a big part of the problem is that people 'believe' that there dog will find a new home via the pound (through rehoming) and it takes away the feeling of guilt and responsibility of giving it up or trying to find a new home themselves or contacting a rescue that might be able to help them keep a dog. Lets be honest they might as well take the dog to be pts themselves, some pounds that stick strictly to the pts policy just works out as a free pts service and lets the owner off having to see the consequences of their actions.

It makes me wonder if rescue money would be more productive by giving out free training, or doggy day care/ walking, the dog not behaving/ time/ inability to walk are common excuses people give for giving up on their dog.

I think continuing how pounds and rescues work is not going to solve anything, it is picking up the pieces and heartbreaking :cry: I was in the pub last night, 4/5 dogs there were rescues (2 were very lovely RR dogs :) and 1 RSPCA dog and 1 dog trust ) I almost feel that I might be part of the problem, as long as there are people like me willing to take them on, people will give them up and rescues continue to turn dogs around. The government will do nothing as people are picking up the pieces. Does that make sense?

Re homing will always be a part of dog rescue as owners have valid reasons such as too ill/ died/ homeless/ last resort.

Is there any rescues that work as a support service as there primary role rather than rehoming? Does it work? Or is every dog owner that gives a dog up not really bothered and the excuses are just a way to get rid?

Edited by Evei

I assume you mean Mill House Animal Sanctuary not Millhouses Animal Sanctuary?? It's in Fulwood so not really close to where you were. The lady you spoke to is the lady that owns The Mill House along with her twin sister. She's actually a very lovely, but very busy person!! Mill House can have up to 200 animals in their care.

The people at Mill House do an amazing job and it's a wonderful charity.

However, I do agree that the dog wardens should extend their working hours!

Evei, in answer to your question from your post, there is a support service for assisting the elderly and terminally ill take care of their pets. It is a charity called The Cinnamon Trust. They arrange for volunteers to offer assistance as dog walkers & pet carers when the owners are finding it difficult to cope, for example if they are feeling poorly or if they are housebound or if they are finding walking their dogs a bit of a struggle. They also can help with temporary foster homes, if say, for example, an owner has to spend time in hospital. Their aim is to always try to keep the pet with the owner, and when possible, reunite the pet with the owner when they come out of hospital.

They are currently looking to recruit more volunteers in the Sheffield area, so if anyone is interested, please visit their website for details.