If SF enforced passport pictures as avatar- Would you be in favour?

Passport ID style photograph as avatar- For or Against?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Passport ID style photograph as avatar- For or Against?

• In favour
    • I'm against
    • Can't decide
    • Use someone else's picture

Better idea: ensure that only real names are used, proven by applicant for membership before he/she is allowed to post.

Better idea: ensure that only real names are used, proven by applicant for membership before he/she is allowed to post.

In what way is that a "better" idea?

Having an idea that's "better" than a pisspoor idea, doesn't mean it's a good idea.

It's such a good idea that even services that rely on you to be truthful about who you are, liked linkedin, don't employ it.

For most people, one half of a second's thought will immediately reveal why your idea is not only not "better" but why it's such a bad one.

In what way is that a "better" idea?

Having an idea that's "better" than a pisspoor idea, doesn't mean it's a good idea.

It's such a good idea that even services that rely on you to be truthful about who you are, liked linkedin, don't employ it.

For most people, one half of a second's thought will immediately reveal why your idea is not only not "better" but why it's such a bad one.

I so hope that's a chill pill in your avatar? Relax.

Got to admit it would be hard to enforce upon people, but who knows I would put my picture up, don't blame me when membership suddenly collapses though.

I have put my name on here before & I have nothing to hide, I would hope that the majority think like myself, though I am a bit naive.

But in reality it is a forum; people join, or choose not to, and up to now there are no limitations in place to my knowledge. I gather that they call people trolls, I have always used WUM's, but it would seem that it can be a serious thing by some sick people.

Until it becomes an absolute necessity in law, we have to leave it like it is. I mean if ever it did become law that people had to put a genuine picture up, then the only way I can think of it being certifiable is as now with a passport, and only certain people can endorse pictures.

Edited by Bypassblade

The question really is, would you feel comfortable saying the thing you say if people knew your real identity on Sheffield Forum.

There's no point saying 'hurrr durrrr it wouldn't happen, hurrrr durrr it couldn't be enforced'. Well yeah it willn't happen but the question remains, and whether it could or couldn't be enforced is not the point. The point is would you act the way you do currently online, if people knew your real identity.

Seeing as these pictures are so small, that no

detail can be made out, what would be the point?

I live in a world of perfection...I really don't want that illusion shattered. So no.

The question really is, would you feel comfortable saying the thing you say if people knew your real identity on Sheffield Forum.

There's no point saying 'hurrr durrrr it wouldn't happen, hurrrr durrr it couldn't be enforced'. Well yeah it willn't happen but the question remains, and whether it could or couldn't be enforced is not the point. The point is would you act the way you do currently online, if people knew your real identity.

Like I said I've put my name on here, so if it had to be done then yes; I would, as I've nothing to hide, or not ashamed of what I say. You asked the question, what would your answer be?

What about people who don't have a passport or a driving licence?

Who would want to know such people?? :D

Yes i would be quite happy to put my passport picture up,Its eight years old and i look better on it then i do now.

Guest sibon
Who would want to know such people?? :D

Driving instructors and Passport officers.

Like I said I've put my name on here, so if it had to be done then yes; I would, as I've nothing to hide, or not ashamed of what I say. You asked the question, what would your answer be?

Errrrrmm, well. Up until a few weeks ago I had a link in my signature of my youtube where I play guitar openly showing my face, so I don't think I really would mind, as I don't think what I say is ever out of order.

I took it down because someone took exception to something I said and started leaving stupid comments on my videos, so I no longer have it up.

Now my posts, and everything I say in them are covered by my current signature, so I don't think I'd have a problem with having my PP photo as my avatar.