Looks like circumcision could be banned.

At varying points in the history it has been at onset of puberty, around the 12/13 stage.

No, that's true of Moslems only. They base themselves on Ishmael's circumcision at that age, on the same day that Abraham [age 99/100 years] and Isaac [age 8 days] were circumcised.

Maimonides was 12th century, to put him into context

He was giving his opinion (and not enunciating Jewish law) as to the rationale.

But the law is unaffected and is as binding now as it was then and before then.

Plus he was not only a philosopher. Besides being a leader in codification of law, he was doctor to the Spanish royal family.

He was giving his opinion as to the rationale.

Do you agree with his opinion?

I can't argue properly on other points at the minute, for the website I got my other information from was a university student's so I can't claim any source beyond that:

[... m]any people were led to believe that circumcision was healthy and natural. References to circumcision are found throughout the Old Testament, but they are vague as to how and at what age the action of circumcision itself was to be performed.

During the time of Moses, flint knives were used to perform circumcision on males who had reached puberty. The use of flint knives was very important in early Jewish tradition, for Anthropologists state that the stone blade symbolized a connection to the earth and its elements. As in other cultures, the mixture of blood and stone has been a characteristic of tribal circumcision throughout the world. After the time of Moses, the tradition of Jewish circumcision was altered from being performed at the stage of male puberty to that of the neonatal stage, typically being performed on the eighth day after birth.

The rationale- as with all of the other 613 commandments- is not available to us.

He has his opinion, which we sort-of know. I have mine which I've not disclosed. Neither impacts on the law's applicability.

Also, the 613 did not apply before Moses receiving them at Mount Sinai. As a result, the Israelites whom he led from Egypt via the desert were until then not Jews as now defined.

How so? Forgive my curiosity, but as a man, I really wonder how that's the case.

This is because germs and bacteria gather and breed in there, which lead to infections and disease which is usually the case for unclean blokes who don't wash themselves properly. Though I think its barbaric to do it to a baby in the name of religion.

There are also medical reasons for why men are circumcised too (their foreskin maybe throttling the hell out of their love truncheon as an example) so its not all religious there are other reasons too oh and in the case of the show offs it makes it look bigger too

ALL mutilation of children should be severely punished, be it something like circumcision or pierced ears.

This is because germs and bacteria gather and breed in there, which lead to infections and disease which is usually the case for unclean blokes who don't wash themselves properly. Though I think its barbaric to do it to a baby in the name of religion.

There are also medical reasons for why men are circumcised too (their foreskin maybe throttling the hell out of their love truncheon as an example) so its not all religious there are other reasons too oh and in the case of the show offs it makes it look bigger too

we appear to have survived for millennia without the need to cut bits off our bodies, why start now in relative terms?

These people seem to think there is a good reason for doing it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-18549968

i was going to post this..

A report by UNAids and the World Health Organisation said the risk of HIV infection among men could be reduced by 60%. http://www.unaids.org/en/media/unaids/contentassets/dataimport/pub/pressrelease/2007/20070328_pr_mc_recommendations_en.pdf

A small makeshift clinic for carrying out the procedures was erected in Parliament House in the capital Harare.

"erected"

:hihi:

You guys can argue for weeks. I've done the right thing for my boy, i certainly haven't done the wrong thing. My parents did the right thing by me, my dads parents did the right thing by him etc etc...

Edited by Ian Dome

A small** makeshift clinic for carrying out the procedures was erected in Parliament House in the capital Harare.

** Size isn't everything.