Memories of the Coronation

Hate to think of myself being classed as an oldie, but I was all of 12 years old at the time. Our family went round to a relative's house on Chaucer to watch the proceedings on T.V. There must have been about 30 people, friends and family, crammed into the small living room, gathered around what must have been about a 14" set. I remember we had to walk about a mile, carrying chairs for each of us, and a contribution to the food, also, if memory serves it was raining. As for the actual broadcast, I don't remember much about it, I suppose it wasn't that important to we kids at the time. What it really meant was a day off school, and a souvenier pen knife.

What memories do the oldies of the Forum have of Coronation Day?

I was in the 'Soft and Barmy' (Army) in Egypt. I actually volunteered for extra guard duty on a Transmitter Site to dodge the parades etc;etc; trouble with that, there wasn't any.

Never listen to rumours.

My aunty had a TV so all the family went to her house to watch the Coronation along with all the neighbours I dont know how we all fitted into that small front room, curtains closed and all in darkness nobody was allowed to speak. I seem to remember that there was a break of hour or so and then it continued again I couldn't go back in the afternoon because I had a splitting headache with sitting in the dark watching that small screen for hours

My Dad got us a tv for the Coronation in 1953. It was a 12 inch bush. Our living room was packed with relatives and neighbours that day. It was sandwiches all day. It rained throughout the day and I remember the Queen of Tonga rode in the procession in an open carriage. She instantly became a favourite.

What memories do the oldies of the Forum have of Coronation Day?

I remember the coronation, I was 5, it was pouring with rain all day. I lived at Rudyard Road Hillsborough. It was a dead end road and all the adults had a sheet across the road to shelter from the rain, I think i went to Morley St school back then.

My Dad got us a tv for the Coronation in 1953. It was a 12 inch bush. Our living room was packed with relatives and neighbours that day. It was sandwiches all day. It rained throughout the day and I remember the Queen of Tonga rode in the procession in an open carriage. She instantly became a favourite.

Why then are we having the diamond Jubilee this year? - I still say it's so they can con money out of us twice:roll::roll:

Elizabeth ascended to the throne 6th Feb 1952 after the death of her father George VI

The coronation took place at Westminster June 2nd 1953

The jubilee is not a celebration of the coronation but a celebration of her ascension to the throne.

Tuppie

Elizabeth ascended to the throne 6th Feb 1952 after the death of her father George VI

The coronation took place at Westminster June 2nd 1953

The jubilee is not a celebration of the coronation but a celebration of her ascension to the throne.

Tuppie

Why then is the celebration in June 2012 and not February and don't say because of the May Bank Holiday because that should have been on Monday 28th May but they moved it to the week after - I ask again WHY? and the only answer that springs to mind is that they think we're a set of gullible fools. Spring bank holiday (or Whitsuntide as it was before) has been at the end of May for all of my lifetime 61 years) but now it's on 4 June. Think about it