Rude Doctor at Sheffield Medical Centre, Spital Hill

Had the same problem a couple of years ago, my wife was in agony with sore throat.

The doctor would not give her antibiotics so we went to walk in centre and they would not treat her either.

Cut a long story short, eventually went back to doctors a couple of days later and he sent her to hospital, there she was diagnosed with Quincies [ never heard of it myself ] and the doctor lanced it and removed the pus etc.

He said if she had left it any longer she could have got peritinitis if it had burst on it's own.

My advice would be to go straight walk in centre or accident and emergency.

Hope this doesn't scare you but take no chances, hope it everything turns out ok

Ditto re Quinsey's Abcess. Had it too - big lump on neck, couldn't swallow (to point I preferred to drool - gross I know) - it got very bad very quickly and doc hit it with big antibiotics - I narrowly avoided ENT clinic for lancing. Get your diagnosis and fix then contemplate your complaint. It will carry more weight when you have a confirmed diagnosis and treatment to refer to... Good luck.

Re diagnosis - ask to see another doc at same clinic, or head to NHS walk in or A&E if it feels like an emergency (can't swallow/breathing difficult).

Edited by pigtails

If that is true, you should be at A&E instead of typing on here.

Off you go .... and please report back.

Come on it's their 1st post on SF, only another 4 to go and they can start selling. Everyones got to start somewhere.

Yes he could get into trouble for that and even get taken to court

If you wish to prosecute you do need evidence,and t would be a case of one person's word etc.what charge would the prosecution make?You have been watching too much TV drama:hihi:

if it's a quinsy, you'll only get worse, please go somewhere and get it sorted. As a temporary relief try gargling gently with warm salt water. But you need antibiotics as soon as possible. I've had it and quite honestly I could have cut my own throat it was so painful. Once it bursts it stops hurting pretty soon, but you don't really want to let it get to that stage, it can cause complications.

http://www.throatproblems.co.uk/can-you-still-get-quinsy.html

My friend had a throat abbcess & it was indeed slowly closing her throat. She had to stay in hospital for a few days on IV antibiotics. Get yourself to A&E if you really believe it's compromising your airway. The doctors there will take you serious.

Had the same problem a couple of years ago, my wife was in agony with sore throat.

The doctor would not give her antibiotics so we went to walk in centre and they would not treat her either.

because the vast majority of throat infections are viral , and i nthe absense of clear signs of bacterial infection the correct treatment is simple analgesia and plenty of fluids.

Cut a long story short, eventually went back to doctors a couple of days later and he sent her to hospital, there she was diagnosed with Quincies [ never heard of it myself ] and the doctor lanced it and removed the pus etc.

and was the quinsy due to the original infection or bacteria superinfection of the all ready inflamed by the viral infection tonsils ?

it's very likely that even if the original infection was bacterial it was not clear at the time of the original examination whether it was bacterial or viral ... now if it had been a few hours later rather than a few days latewr there might be grounds for complaint.

He said if she had left it any longer she could have got peritinitis if it had burst on it's own.

there is no such condition as 'peritinitis' and i can't see a causal link between quinsy and inflammation of the abdominal cavity ( peritonitis)

My advice would be to go straight walk in centre or accident and emergency.

Hope this doesn't scare you but take no chances, hope it everything turns out ok

t if the Op 'could breathe' s/he would not be in a position to moan on SF, if I had 10 p for every patient who had presented with 'couldn't breathe' but met no clinical criteria for serious difficulty in breathing i'd be sorted for holidays for a good few years ...

Edited by zippy

... if the Op 'could breathe' s/he would not be in a position to moan on SF, if I had 10 p for every patient who had presented with 'couldn't breathe' but met no clinical criteria for serious difficulty in breathing i'd be sorted for holidays for a good few years ...
so are you a doctor then? Doesn't seem like good advice from what a few people have said on here.

I'd agree with the ones that say get some medical attention. Go to the walk in tomorrow first thing if you dont trust the docs. Feel better soon, girl.

My friend had a throat abbcess & it was indeed slowly closing her throat. She had to stay in hospital for a few days on IV antibiotics. Get yourself to A&E if you really believe it's compromising your airway. The doctors there will take you serious.

assuming that it is actually compromising the OPs airway ...