Why can't we have a proper airport in Sheffield?

They may have changed the boundaries, but I am sure that it is (or was) in Cheshire, although on the border with Greater Manchester. It sits in between Wythenshawe (Greater Manchester) and Styal (Cheshire). I usually drive in from the Styal end (coming over from Pott Shrigley)

The original Manchester Ringway airport was in Manchester but it has spread out over the Cheshire border as it has grown. Most of the councils in Greater Manchester are 5% shareholders in the airport with Manchester owning 55%. They also own East Midlands, Bournemouth and a few others. They employ about 19,000 on the ground, support about 130,000 jobs in total and turnover about £3bn

Did you get all that Comrade Dore? An airport is a valuable economic asset that takes time to grow but provides employment and wealth. You cretins flogged ours for a quid and didn't even bother collecting the quid.

The original Manchester Ringway airport was in Manchester but it has spread out over the Cheshire border as it has grown. Most of the councils in Greater Manchester are 5% shareholders in the airport with Manchester owning 55%. They also own East Midlands, Bournemouth and a few others. They employ about 19,000 on the ground, support about 130,000 jobs in total and turnover about £3bn

Did you get all that Comrade Dore? An airport is a valuable economic asset that takes time to grow but provides employment and wealth. You cretins flogged ours for a quid and didn't even bother collecting the quid.

Just out if interest, do we know who approved and signed that deal, and if they are still working for Sheffield council?

I'd rather Sheffield had a proper High Speed Train service, with services to London, Manchester, Birmingham, Edinburgh, etc... And Doncaster had a proper road link from the M18 to the airport.

That way, we get the addition of a decent rail service and a quick route to Doncaster Airport, avoiding Doncaster, without the hassle, noise and sir pollution of having an airport too close to the city.

K.

Edited by karl101

i think that it would be to expensive to build in the financial climate, plud we have loads round Sheffield, like Leeds Bradford, hull. doncaster now, east midlands, Manchester, Liverpool, even scarbourer, and Birmingham, i know this is no comfort when you see like little hull theres to many airports covering a large area i agree we should have had one years ago. think of the big airlines they can't afford more landing fees plus the sky's are over crowded there is hardly any air space left, airlines are there to make money. they have to pay landing charges pay for the stands. if Sheffield would stop expanding then there would have been land but Sheffield are encroaching into chesterfield, Rotterdam, barnsley nd creeping to Leeds and they can't go any further west or Manchester will take their ball home and they will defiantly through there toys out of the pram

Wow, even scarbourer (sic) has its own airport?

Other than being one of the most unintelligible posts ever to grace SF, there's a thread (amongst many) on Sheffield Airport (or lack of) about four posts down.

Edit: Having made another attempt to make sense of your post, I can only deduce that you've been on the sauce.

Edited by Ousetunes

welcome to England Cookingfat.

It is nice to have foreign people posting.

Perhaps it's cooking fat, literally trying to write for the first time ever?

I reckon it would make more sense!?

Still, credit where it's due: he or she guessed correctly that Manchester is in the west.