Why can't we have a proper airport in Sheffield?

I doubt that SCC had much say in funding/construction/route of a main trunk road such as Sheffield Parkway- and that road's route is probably why the runway was never going to be long enough.

I doubt that SCC had much say in funding/construction/route of a main trunk road such as Sheffield Parkway- and that road's route is probably why the runway was never going to be long enough.

As I said earlier, Manchester and Heathrow Airports built bridges over anything that stood in their way. Stuff was demolished, rare animals moved, ponds relocated, etc, etc.

Runway over the top of the 6 mile long Parkway, no problem.

I know. Have to drive/bus it/donny is rubbish.

We are one of the BIGGEST City's in the UK. And we don't even have a airport.

Opines?

We do have a small airport however a larger one is compromised by the hills (they're those rocky things on the ground that rise above the ground) plus if you want air traffic flying over your head 24-7 go and live near heathrow, problem solved:gag:

Is that because most of "Sheffield Parkway" is actually in Rotherham?

Topology and competition from local airports i.e. Manchester, Leeds, East Midlands and Doncaster. That said, runways are seldom level - remember the open titles from the TV series "We'll meet again" and the B17 hurtling down the runway? You can see the dip in the runway

It's blindingly obvious that Sheffield doesn't generate enough traffic to make an airport viable. And making one out f sloping land would cost 3 times as much as building it on the flat - three times as uneconomic.

Doncaster airport came cheap - with a runway nearly as large as Heathrow thrown in for free, thanks to it being a yank airbase before. Yet it struggles to pay its way (and will until they get a motorway link off the M18 built, and a spur off the East Coast Main Line - then it will take off like a rocket.)

And when that M18 link is built, it will be no time at all from Sheffield - less than half an hour on the motorway - I know, I've gone there lots.

There isn't anywhere nearer Sheffield where you could put one - and the costs of the runway alone would be prohibitive...

And what, pray, has the success or otherwise of a football team got to do with the economics of an airport?

It's blindingly obvious that Sheffield doesn't generate enough traffic to make an airport viable. And making one out f sloping land would cost 3 times as much as building it on the flat - three times as uneconomic.

Doncaster airport came cheap - with a runway nearly as large as Heathrow thrown in for free, thanks to it being a yank airbase before. Yet it struggles to pay its way (and will until they get a motorway link off the M18 built, and a spur off the East Coast Main Line - then it will take off like a rocket.)

And when that M18 link is built, it will be no time at all from Sheffield - less than half an hour on the motorway - I know, I've gone there lots.

There isn't anywhere nearer Sheffield where you could put one - and the costs of the runway alone would be prohibitive...

And what, pray, has the success or otherwise of a football team got to do with the economics of an airport?

Lots! The MASSIVE need a airport to fly all the best players in. Look at MancChester - nobody would sign for either team if the airport was in Norfolk. Manchesters U's have a rather less than MASSIVE support from Eire that fly in to Manc land.

I don't buy into this 'flat land' deal and OAP's tea becoming unsettled due to 747 blasts. Like I stated earlier - whats wrong with Low Edges?

Lots! The MASSIVE need a airport to fly all the best players in. Look at MancChester - nobody would sign for either team if the airport was in Norfolk. Manchesters U's have a rather less than MASSIVE support from Eire that fly in to Manc land.

I don't buy into this 'flat land' deal and OAP's tea becoming unsettled due to 747 blasts. Like I stated earlier - whats wrong with Low Edges?

Hahaha!

Classic.................

Hahaha!

Classic.................

It's true though Wayne77, would you play for a team if the airport was 798 miles away? :hihi:

It's true though Wayne77, would you play for a team if the airport was 798 miles away? :hihi:

I was born 7 Lupton Drive Lowedges.

If i had grown up there looking at planes overhead,it could have inspired me to become a pilot.

I feel cheated.

Would i play for a team 798 miles away?

No..Would have to move a mile nearer (as i don't like odd even numbers):P

until they get a motorway link off the M18 built, and a spur off the East Coast Main Line - then it will take off like a rocket

:loopy:

No it wont, not at all. In fact it would make the place more attractive as a business park.

Time to get real.

The plain fact of the matter is that if anyone had been determined, and if powers had had foresight, there would have been a proper Sheffield airport many years ago. No matter the topography, the geography, nothing is insurmountable. Which leaves one sticky point - finance.

Meanwhile, Sheffield is the laughing stock of Europe: whoever heard of a city and a conurbation this size without an airport?