374 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe in God?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure
    • Willing to be convinced

Can you explain why good things happen?

Nope.Can you?

If life was perfect in this world and nobody suffered,do you think we would all be better people? I can't explain why bad things happen,its a mystery.We won't get to know all those things till the next life.

How can you not know what caused it, yet know it wasn't God?

Does your God have the power to stop it and if so why doesn't God stop it?

Did God know when everything was created that all this bad stuff would happen?

I don't think that's entirely correct. If a god knows everything, even every possible action that you are going to do throughout your life, it doesn't necessarily mean you don't have freewill. It just means that god knows what you are going to do with your freewill.

If God made Anders Breivik and knew what he would do at the point of creation, how could Anders Breivik have changed what he did. Hid destiny was decided at the point of creation.

Then we have the children that God must have know was going to die, they didn’t have free will, many of them probably didn’t choose to be on the camp, that was more than likely are parental decision, I doubt they chose to be shot. And all this must have been destined to happen at the creation of everything.

Free will is power of acting without the constraint of fate which is the development of events beyond a person's control, regarded as determined by a supernatural power.

Edited by MrSmith

Well i know you don't believe it.I'm not expecting you to,but i can pass a comment can't i.?

This isn't just a thread for atheists.

Of cause it isn't, we just want to understand how someone can believe in something they can't see, touch, hear and smell, without knowing what the something is, and what it can and cannot do.

Nope.Can you?

Good things happen because a series of random event take place which leads to soemthing good or bad.

Some people need evidence/proof that there's a God. Some don't need it. Some say he doesn't exist as he didn't listen/fill their prayers. Just a small, maybe silly comparision - if your boss doesn't increase your salary when you asked him does it means he's not your boss/he doesn't exist?

Try to ask the people who have been declared dead by the doctors and after some minutes came to life. Unfortunatelly they don't like to talk about their experiences. My uncle was declared dead during his heart surgery but after 10 minutes started to breathe and the doctors said they didn't want to believe he's back. He told the doctors what they did with his body when he was "away" - and everything was correct! Unbelievable they said. He said there's a wonderful world and definitely God and angels.

I did not need his experience as I always believed but this made my belief stronger.

The has been a lot of research into NDEs, a summary here for example

http://www.ukskeptics.com/the-dying-brain.php

... fortunately for us people DO like to talk about their experiences, regardless of what people my think they 'saw' NDEs are not evidence for god or even an afterlife. They can't even be attributed to a time after clinical death.

jb

Just a quick note.

I think if God or a higher being existed, than he would certainly not be in the format that we have come to think of. But instead something more intricate that is beyond our understanding. Something scientific and mathamatical that could divise the comlicated balance of the universe and make life as it is. If their is a God, then I doubt very much if he is some higher Father Christmas type figure who made man in his own image, will judge you one day if he is to let you in heaven etc etc, If God did create the world then he is a very intelligent person you would think, if he is intelligent then he would have to take into account the actions of every man and woman and what the experiences, influences, social interactions, economic conditions, workings of the brain etc etc etc and would probably find everyone ok. On the other hand if none of that was took into consideration then only the most devout of Bhuddists would probably get through the gates (he who is without sin and all that). There are many questions that mankind cannot answer, what was there before the big bang?, when did time begin? and what was there before it?, when will time end? etc etc. A God would be bigger and more complex than any of these questions.

On the other hand, when my Nan passed away, she was ok with it because she believed she was going to heaven and for all my sceptisism and science and knowledge and evidence, I can never take that away from her or the millions that think the same, perhaps she lived a more contented life than I am living and for that I am envious.

Or as Homer Simpson once said 'Perhaps it is all just a bunch of stuff that happens'

PS - I hate the fact that my reply was the 666th !!!!

PS - I hate the fact that my reply was the 666th !!!!

It wasn't it was 667 :)

It wasn't it was 667 :)

Unfortunatley it was the 667th post, but the 666th reply to the orginal post :help:

Mr Smith.

If there was a prize to give for being the best atheist,no one would deserve it more then you.

For sheer persistence and determination,more then anything.;)

Mr Smith.

If there was a prize to give for being the best atheist,no one would deserve it more then you.

For sheer persistence and determination,more then anything.;)

Persistence and determination has nothing to do with atheism :suspect: