Do you believe in God?

Do you believe in God?  

374 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe in God?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure
    • Willing to be convinced

If life was perfect in this world and nobody suffered,do you think we would all be better people? I can't explain why bad things happen,its a mystery.We won't get to know all those things till the next life.

Without sadness, we couldn't appreciate happiness. A world where happiness was all that existed would be unworkable, which is why I don't understand how so many people buy into the 'Eternal Life in Heaven' ticket.

However some people do suffer horribly. We tend to be shielded from suffering in the West as it isn't good for consumerism. Half the population of the planet doesn't have proper access to fresh water. 15,000 children under the age of five will die every day.

How do reconcile these facts with your loving god and what do you expect in the next life?

We won't get to know all those things till the next life.

How can you say that?

If god knows everything, he knows all of our futures. Therefore we do not have freewill and have been programmed to behave how we do.

I don't think that's entirely correct. If a god knows everything, even every possible action that you are going to do throughout your life, it doesn't necessarily mean you don't have freewill. It just means that god knows what you are going to do with your freewill.

This means that we cannot be held accountable for our actions as they are the will of god.

If what you said above was correct, then I'd totally agree.

Of course you may like to believe that God just lets us do as we will but helps a few people along the way by the power of prayer.

I don't even believe in a god. I was just basing my post on previous posts by MrSmith & PaliRichard's.

Edited by Ryedo40

Janie, try reading the previous posts. What I said was based on their discussion about free will, omnipotence, omniscience and god having a plan; all of which stem from Christian claims about god.

Well thats why there are so many denominations,because they all hold different views,even within each one of them.

I'll just make my own mind up.In fact i don't really think all that really matters,and like i've said before.It doesn't really matter wether you believe or not.

Faith is something you can't always make sense of,and sometimes its weaker then you would like it to be,and then something happens to strengthen it again,and nothing compares to that peace.Thats all i've got to say about it now,its getting late.

Well thats why there are so many denominations,because they all hold different views,even within each one of them.

I'll just make my own mind up.In fact i don't really think all that really matters,and like i've said before.It doesn't really matter wether you believe or not.

Faith is something you can't always make sense of,and sometimes its weaker then you would like it to be,and then something happens to strengthen it again,and nothing compares to that peace.Thats all i've got to say about it now,its getting late.

Like I keep on saying, faith is what you have when there is no evidence to support your position.

I don't think it's a mystery. I have no reason to think there's any gods watching over us, so it's no mystery to me that bad things happen.

Well i know you don't believe it.I'm not expecting you to,but i can pass a comment can't i.?

This isn't just a thread for atheists.

How can you say that?

Its just something i believe thats all. Do you have a problem with someone believing in something? Its not hurting anyone.

Its just something i believe thats all. Do you have a problem with someone believing in something? Its not hurting anyone.

So it's just your belief or were you taught that? And I doubt there is any supporting evidence is there?

Well i know you don't believe it.I'm not expecting you to,but i can pass a comment can't i.?

This isn't just a thread for atheists.

I was just passing a comment, I can do that can't I? Or is this just a thread for theists? ;)

Tell you what, we don't half stay up late, us lot. I'm gonna go have an early(ish) one for once!

If life was perfect in this world and nobody suffered,do you think we would all be better people? I can't explain why bad things happen,its a mystery.We won't get to know all those things till the next life.

Can you explain why good things happen?

Like I keep on saying, faith is what you have when there is no evidence to support your position.

Well call it blind faith then if you want to.

So it's just your belief or were you taught that? And I doubt there is any supporting evidence is there?

Well my mother was quite religious,so she certainly had an influence,but i didn't have it rammed down my throat, I didn't think about it much for several years.and in more recent years it started to a have a deeper meaning.Hasn't really changed me much though, i'm still waiting for a miracle.:hihi: