Do you believe in God?

Do you believe in God?  

374 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe in God?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure
    • Willing to be convinced

If you sincerely believe in the trinity and the cracker and wine becoming the body of christ

I've always found that belief odd. If it's true, it's cannabalism.

I've always found that belief odd. If it's true, it's cannabalism.

That comes from the earlier forms of religion in which it was thought that by consuming the body of a loved one or an important person in the tribe you would gain some of the attributes.

it was thought that by consuming the body of a loved one

Have you got any sauce? (See what I did? Source, sauce. See? See?!)

Have you got any sauce? (See what I did? Source, sauce. See? See?!)

The blood is supposed to represent tomato ketchup I think.:D

It’s something I watched on TV a few years ago, but Googling ritualistic cannibalism religion finds some information.

The Christian idea of human sacrifice of Jesus to the deity and post-sacrificial Eucharist meal is a reproduction of the "superstitions" of "pagan" religions.

A few of the previous posts got me thinking: If we have freewill, and god has a plan, and god knows everything about our lives(even before we are born), then god must be either working his plan around our freewill – or using our freewill as part of his plan.

If the latter is correct, then it's possible that the actions of those using their freewill - actions that include murder and genocide - are part of god's plan. If the former is correct, then it's possible god permits murder and genocide because part of his plan involves people using their freewill.

This doesn't only give us a sick and twisted god, but it also gives us a scenario where people can't possibly know if they are pleasing god or ******* him off.

1) In god's name, people could be condemning murder and genocide – even though murder and genocide are part of god's plan.

2) In god's name, people could be praising murder and genocide – even though, at least on this occasion, murder and genocide aren't part of god's plan.

Either way, it's possible that people are going to **** god off.

Edited by Ryedo40

I

A few of the previous posts got me thinking: If we have freewill, and god has a plan, and god knows everything about our lives(even before we are born), then god must be either working his plan around our freewill – or using our freewill as part of his plan.

If the latter is correct, then it's possible that the actions of those using their freewill - actions that include murder and genocide - are part of god's plan. If the former is correct, then it's possible god permits murder and genocide because part of his plan involves people using their freewill.

This doesn't only give us a sick and twisted god, but it also give's us a scenario where people can't possibly know if they are pleasing god or ******* him off.

1) In god's name, people could be condemning murder and genocide – even though murder and genocide are part of god's plan.

2) In god's name, people could be praising murder and genocide – even though, at least on this occasion, murder and genocide aren't part of god's plan.

Either way, it's possible that people are going to **** god off.

I don't know who this God is Your talking about,it isn't the God I'm acquainted with.I don't know what religions say about this,but in my view God doesn't predestine evil actions.What a distorted view you have of God.

I'm not surprised you don't believe in him.I wouldn't want to believe in a God like the one you envisage he could be.

I

I don't know who this God is Your talking about,it isn't the God I'm acquainted with.I don't know what religions say about this,but in my view God doesn't predestine evil actions.What a distorted view you have of God.

I'm not surprised you don't believe in him.I wouldn't want to believe in a God like the one you envisage he could be.

So what is and isn't this God responsible for, because all I ever hear is that HE is responsible for the good bits, until they go wrong, at which point HE wasn't responsible for them...

I

Janie, try reading the previous posts. What I said was based on their discussion about free will, omnipotence, omniscience and god having a plan; all of which stem from Christian claims about god.

Edited by Ryedo40

Janie, try reading the previous posts. What I said was based on their discussion about freewill, omnipotence, omniscience and god having a plan; all of which stem from Christian claims about god.

If god knows everything, he knows all of our futures. Therefore we do not have freewill and have been programmed to behave how we do. This means that we cannot be held accountable for our actions as they are the will of god. If God does not know everything, he is not omniscient.

Of course you may like to believe that God just lets us do as we will but helps a few people along the way by the power of prayer. No good praying if you are an amputee or have some other kind of visible affliction but there is a chance that he will cure your cancer or bring you back to life after 78 minutes of being dead.

Just think of all those pious people he stopped from getting cancer in the first place. They have no idea how lucky they are. I expect the people who die sudden, tragic or painfully lingering deaths just needed to be taught a lesson.

So what is and isn't this God responsible for, because all I ever hear is that HE is responsible for the good bits, until they go wrong, at which point HE wasn't responsible for them...

If life was perfect in this world and nobody suffered,do you think we would all be better people? I can't explain why bad things happen,its a mystery.We won't get to know all those things till the next life.

If life was perfect in this world and nobody suffered,do you think we would all be better people? I can't explain why bad things happen,its a mystery.We won't get to know all those things till the next life.

I don't think it's a mystery. I have no reason to think there's any gods watching over us, so it's no mystery to me that bad things happen.