Who should run for Sheffield's Mayor?

If Sheffield has a mayor, whoever it turns out to be, the person who should run for mayor is the person who can catch them and give them a good shoeing.

Because no doubt they will deserve it...

Er, why not await the Referendum's outcome? If it decides "No", there'll be no elected Mayor.

That's a good question, and worthy of attempting a proper reply.

The first thing to say is that one of the big arguments both for and against an elected mayor is the possible Mayors we would get. One of the big arguments in the Should Sheffield have an Elected Mayor? thread is about whether or not Sheffield would end up with a Mayor like Doncaster's Peter Davies.

And on that note, I shall toss a few names from the 3 main parties into the ring, although I must point out that just because somebody is on this list it does not mean that I endorse them. Quite the opposite in fact. I'm just trying to give a rough idea of what sort of candidates we might get for the position of Mayor.

Conservative

Spencer Pitfield (former Tory candidate for both Sheffield Hallam and Stocksbridge & Penistone)

Lord Sebastian Coe (former athlete, former Tory MP and chairman of the London Organising Committee for the Olympic Games)

Liberal Democrats

Paul Scriven (former council leader)

Richard Allen (former Sheffield Hallam MP)

Shaffaq Mohammed (current leader of the Lib Dem group on Sheffield Council)

Labour

Julie Dore (current leader of Sheffield City Council)

David Blunkett (Sheffield Brightside MP, former council leader and former home secretary)

Clive Betts (Sheffield South East MP, and former council leader)

Edited by Stoatwobbler

That's a good question, and worthy of attempting a proper reply.

The first thing to say is that one of the big arguments both for and against an elected mayor is the possible Mayors we would get. One of the big arguments in the Should Sheffield have an Elected Mayor? thread is about whether or not Sheffield would end up with a Mayor like Doncaster's Peter Davies.

And on that note, I shall toss a few names from the 3 main parties into the ring, although I must point out that just because somebody is on this list it does not mean that I endorse them. Quite the opposite in fact. I'm just trying to give a rough idea of what sort of candidates we might get for the position of Mayor.

Conservative

Spencer Pitfield (former Tory candidate for both Sheffield Hallam and Stocksbridge & Penistone)

Lord Sebastian Coe (former athlete,Tory MP and chairman of the London Organising Committee for the Olympic Games)

Liberal Democrats

Paul Scriven (former council leader)

Richard Allen (former Sheffield Hallam MP)

Shaffaq Mohammed (current leader of the Lib Dem group on Sheffield Council)

Labour

Julie Dore (current leader of Sheffield City Council)

David Blunkett (Sheffield Brightside MP, former council leader and former home secretary)

Clive Betts (Sheffield South East MP, and former council leader)

Labour have already said it their candidate will be Julie Dore....or at least Jack Scott said so on BBC Radio.

I'd rather the Mayor wasn't affiliated to any particular party. He should be independent, a person of vision, with shed loads of common sense and pragmatism.

I'm not keen on it being a businessman /woman either, as they often see 'the price of everything and the value of nothing.'

Toby Foster

Successful comedian, very successful businessman, has run festivals and comedy clubs in Sheffield for years. Knows everyone in Sheffield because of his radio show. Very sensible, and has a no nonsense approach. Obviously loves Sheffield.

Yeah, just what we need.................another lefty loon in the town hall

As much as I dont like the stuck up pillock and he would never get voted in because he is a tory.

Seb Coe may not be a bad choice he has worldwide contacts and he would clearly put Sheffield on the Map and put us in the forefront for investment.

Goes and gets tin hat ;)

Seb Coe would be a good choice who could do the city a lot of good. Sadly the natives are not the sharpest tools in the box and would rather have a loser in charge. So they'll probably want Blunkett back to finish the city off completely.

I'm not keen on it being a businessman /woman either, as they often see 'the price of everything and the value of nothing.'

Thats rather an unfair generalisation Anna. I know lots of business men/women who know the value of their teams (workers), including my good self. :)

Most SME's have no time for big business and how they have ruined the country.

Managing a business and staff successfully is something to be applauded in our present environment.

How about Emma Harrison, she's from Sheffield. Fair drive in from Thornbridge though.

I'm afraid that if all those existing/previous politicians are the only prospect, we may as well continue with Leader & Cabinet.

If an Elected Mayor is to make any influential change, they need to be someone with experience and balls (real or metaphoric) enough to control/guide the officers who will just be saying that theirs is the only way because of Westminster/Brussels Regulation 123xyz/ii.

We need someone with the tenacity to see inside the confusing webs and help find ways to produce change for the better.

Perhaps we need someone that can try and stand against some of the excessive control that inhibits change. As the 4th largest city in England we should have some push?

One the most important changes has to be in the way we are wasting a fortune in schools whilst failing the students that pass through them.

Edited by cgksheff

I'm afraid that if all those existing/previous politicians are the only prospect, we may as well continue with Leader & Cabinet.

If an Elected Mayor is to make any influential change, they need to be someone with experience and balls (real or metaphoric) enough to control/guide the officers who will just be saying that theirs is the only way because of Westminster/Brussels Regulation 123xyz/ii.

We need someone with the tenacity to see inside the confusing webs and help find ways to produce change for the better.

Perhaps we need someone that can try and stand against some of the excessive control that inhibits change. As the 4th largest city in England we should have some push?

One the most import changes has to be in the way we are wasting a fortune in schools whilst failing the students that pass through them.

I totally agree, an elected mayor should be a person of vision and passion for the city, not governed by party politics. Sheffield people should be the priority.

This happened when the idea of a London Mayor was first floated.

Lots of suggestions for interesting candidates with a wide range of business experience.

Then, come the elections a load of politicians turn up like a bad smell.

So there's your answer. It'll be some washed up ruin from the Labour Party.

I'm putting my cash on Clive Betts. I'll be voting no for sure.

Think I may just follow your lead and vote no :thumbsup:

Edited by Phili Buster
change

No one. We have enough elected representatives as it is! An elected mayor would have the power to force through whatever crackpot scheme they wanted to and we would have no say until their tenure was up.

Their manifesto will be full of populist but unworkable ideas and they will be able to force decisions through the Council with a minority vote (some may think that this has already happened in other Northern towns).

Have a read of http://www.thebirminghampress.com/2012/04/10/why-the-mayoral-referendum-matters/ if you are in any doubt.

We're being asked to add another layer of bureaucracy to an already over-bureaucratic system. Who pays for it? We do. In the form of extra taxes or cuts in services.

Don't vote for politicians - it just encourages them. NO to an elected mayor.