Sheffield one of the most 'at risk' shopping areas in UK

People perceptions of things are always worse than the reality.

Or better - depending on which viewpoint you take - and which statistics you use...

Did you know...

50 % of people are below average

and

50% are above average

Also, the average (mean) person has less than 2 legs!!

I live equidistant from Sheffield and Chesterfield. We go by bus into Sheffield - two of us, return ticket at £4.70 each, 3/4 hour journey each way - we cannot carry very much back with us, so even if we wanted to we can't do much more than browse (I did once buy a christmas tree and that was a nightmare to get home!) Hubby's arthritis means that getting down to what is left of the Moor entails catching the freebee and as it goes one way, careful planning as to what shops we want to reach and in what order.

If we go to Chesterfield (20 minute drive), there is a market, a great selection of shops and a multi-storey car park in the centre of town that costs us £2.40 for 3-4 hours. If we want to buy something heavy, we can get it home with no problem.

Sometimes, as a treat, we go by train to Doncaster, complete with its shopping centre, market complex, cafe's and myriad of small shops.

One of Sheffield's problems, it seems to me, is the layout. Chesterfield and Doncaster both have a square in which the shops are concentrated and spread out from the centre. Their bus stations are also located close to the centre. Sheffield however has a linear formation and you need a fair constitution to march from one end to the other, uphill as well. I think the "cafe culture" is fine, but how many of us really come into town just to have coffee?

Perhaps things will change a bit when the Sevenstones area is developed. From what I remember seeing of the plans, the idea was to spread the Moor out a bit sideways. How you could fix Fargate and Castlegate though is a bit beyond me. I did once have to fetch a developer (who had got lost on the road system coming into town) and bring him through Castlegate. His comments were a bit interesting and not at all flattering!

Or better - depending on which viewpoint you take - and which statistics you use...

Did you know...

50 % of people are below average

and

50% are above average

Also, the average (mean) person has less than 2 legs!!

Did you know that every single person who has EVER drunk water has either died or will die?

I live equidistant from Sheffield and Chesterfield. We go by bus into Sheffield - two of us, return ticket at £4.70 each, 3/4 hour journey each way - we cannot carry very much back with us, so even if we wanted to we can't do much more than browse (I did once buy a christmas tree and that was a nightmare to get home!) Hubby's arthritis means that getting down to what is left of the Moor entails catching the freebee and as it goes one way, careful planning as to what shops we want to reach and in what order.

If we go to Chesterfield (20 minute drive), there is a market, a great selection of shops and a multi-storey car park in the centre of town that costs us £2.40 for 3-4 hours. If we want to buy something heavy, we can get it home with no problem.

Sometimes, as a treat, we go by train to Doncaster, complete with its shopping centre, market complex, cafe's and myriad of small shops.

One of Sheffield's problems, it seems to me, is the layout. Chesterfield and Doncaster both have a square in which the shops are concentrated and spread out from the centre. Their bus stations are also located close to the centre. Sheffield however has a linear formation and you need a fair constitution to march from one end to the other, uphill as well. I think the "cafe culture" is fine, but how many of us really come into town just to have coffee?

Perhaps things will change a bit when the Sevenstones area is developed. From what I remember seeing of the plans, the idea was to spread the Moor out a bit sideways. How you could fix Fargate and Castlegate though is a bit beyond me. I did once have to fetch a developer (who had got lost on the road system coming into town) and bring him through Castlegate. His comments were a bit interesting and not at all flattering!

I understand exactly what you mean here. I think Chesterfield has a lovely centre, I know its small compared to sheffield, but i think its a nicer place to walk around.

Incidentally, have you ever been to Chester?

Nowhere close. Westfield has 190 stores. Meadowhall has 280. As for footfall, I agree that its location bang next to the station almost forces people to walk through it. Its like putting a massive mall right next to the interchange. It will certainly distort the true figures.

Not bad though, that a town half the size of Sheffield can sustain a large city centre complex like Westfield.

Yes. But, the Council have a city centre masterplan and the sites these these car parks occupy have been planned as car parks as part of that masterplanning process.

Really ? You would never have guessed by looking at the state of sheffield city centre.

Really ? You would never have guessed by looking at the state of sheffield city centre.

Masterplans aren't delivered in a week, a month, a year or even a decade. They are long term plans and just like everywhere else, the plans have been slowed down by the recession.

Masterplans aren't delivered in a week, a month, a year or even a decade. They are long term plans and just like everywhere else, the plans have been slowed down by the recession.

By the time any masterplan is finished in Sheffield, it'll be on time team as an archaeological dig, they'll be saying ,wonder why they didn't employ professional planners, look at the state of the roads, wonder why they blocked them all off.