Costa Coffee in Broomhill

I wonder if they've closed down their other branch in Gainsborough as well.

Interesting that one of the reasons for closure that they've given is the lack of parking in Broomhill. Every time I claim that a closing business has said this, Planner1 has said it's rubbish and that his beloved parking permit scheme has played no part whatsoever in their demise.

It also raises the question, what's going to happen to the shops across the road because I thought Costa was meant to be going into there at one point.

Edited by metalman

It's a real shame that he was under pressure to sell the lease to Costa.

On a slightly different subject... On a Roll is reopening across the road

(I apologise if you've already spoke about it, I haven't gone back through the whole thread)

Guest sibon

Interesting that one of the reasons for closure that they've given is the lack of parking in Broomhill. Every time I claim that a closing business has said this, Planner1 has said it's rubbish and that his beloved parking permit scheme has played no part whatsoever in their demise.

The parking reason is really interesting. Costa are obviously not worried by it. Indeed, the permit system should work in favour of cafes and shops. Prior to its introduction, all the Broomhill side streets were bunged up with long term parkers, who arrived at about 7am and didn't leave until after 5. It was really difficult to find a space during the day.

Now, there is plenty of turnover of spaces, ideal for shoppers and cafe visitors. I could point you to streets where there are always parking spaces, within a two minute walk of the shops. Cheap too.

Maybe the offer from Costa was just too much to resist.

The council have recently granted Costa Coffee permission to open in Broomhill, what do you think?

I don't think they will spend money with local company's like cream did, they were a good customer for us, so not good for Sheffields economy.

I will be going in to see if they would like to buy Sheffield milk but think its unlikely. I should go to Remos cafe or Refresh both who use Sheffield milk the same morning it's come from the cows #SuperFreshMilk

The parking reason is really interesting. Costa are obviously not worried by it. Indeed, the permit system should work in favour of cafes and shops. Prior to its introduction, all the Broomhill side streets were bunged up with long term parkers, who arrived at about 7am and didn't leave until after 5. It was really difficult to find a space during the day.

Now, there is plenty of turnover of spaces, ideal for shoppers and cafe visitors. I could point you to streets where there are always parking spaces, within a two minute walk of the shops. Cheap too.

Maybe the offer from Costa was just too much to resist.

Well, you're trotting out the Planner1 line there alright, but if you're correct why does the article say the opposite?

The council have recently granted Costa Coffee permission to open in Broomhill, what do you think?

In what way do they need permission to open? The council doesn't have some sort of veto on businesses opening.

in my opinion big chains are successful due to good marketing that has hundreds of thousands spent on advertising, which doesnt make up for poor products, there is no consistancy in the coffee made at costa , starmuck etc although Nero probably do the best of the chains, its the hype to the public that super size milky syrupy coffee is the real deal....its not!! so dont try and pretend, italians and other europeans laugh at the english and americans when they see the size of coffees offered:hihi: real coffee is a small espresso shot mixed with a small amount of hot milk or drunk on its own, how anyone can taste the coffee in the huge cups of costa and starmuck is beyond me:gag: think thats why starmuck are doing 3 shots in a big Latte now:gag: support your independants like Remo, Bragazzis,Gusto, seasons, manhattan, Caffetteria:love:

You realise that the big chains all serve espresso if that's what you want. Nobody is making you order a large latte with hazelnut syrup and sprinkles.

they care nothing abpot local cafe'sand employees would rather have a coffee in vittles anyday

The real reason Cream has closed was because (whisper it) it simply wasnt very good...

It started out pretty well and they did a fantastic job in changing that corner from a scruffy rundown launderette but after a short while was always staffed by poorly trained young folks who couldnt actually make a decent coffee.

And there was no "warmth" about the place - the owners never seemed to be there at all. The staff churned a lot too...

Compare to Remos across the road or Bragazzis on Abbeydale road - their owners are present and correct on a daily basis and the staff at Bragazzis have changed very little - this makes a big difference if you want to develop good customer relationships and thus regular repeat business.

The parking issue is rubbish - as a previous poster pointed out - before the charges all the spaces were taken up by people parking all day so the situation is BETTER now than it used to be.

You can get 15 mins free on almost all the meters - more than long enough to get a coffee and a few bits of shopping.

Couldn't agree more. We visit Broomhill much more than we used to, because we know we'll be able to find somewhere to park. All the excuses from Cream's owner sound a bit dodgy.

On A Roll are coming back? Where and when?

And thank god for that. Everywhere else in Broomhill is crap in comparison.