The dog show crufts

alex1985

Its the Kennel Clubs fault for unhealthy bred dogs isnt it, not Crufts.

At this years Crufts dog show there will be no winner of best in show for the Bulldog, the Pekingese and the Clumber spaniel. The dogs that won best in breed were checked over by an independant Vet and have been refused to be allowed to go through to the best in group competition.

I don't get dog showing, I see these people looking all proud and happy to have won 'yay my dog conforms best to a written list of physical traits'. Wow... so? I can't imagine why that would matter to anyone :confused:

I used to go on the whippet forum a lot when my lurcher was little (before it was clear she'd gone more to the saluki/grey side of her parentage), and people would post on there going on about how their dogs ears were 'wrong' and what they could do to 'correct' them. Made me very uncomfortable indeed, I can't imagine ever thinking a dogs ears were 'wrong' unless they actually had some medical problem.

I can understand being proud if you won an agility contest or a race or something but not that. Each to their own I suppose.

Edited by vwkittie

Its the Kennel Clubs fault for unhealthy bred dogs isnt it, not Crufts.

At this years Crufts dog show there will be no winner of best in show for the Bulldog, the Pekingese and the Clumber spaniel. The dogs that won best in breed were checked over by an independant Vet and have been refused to be allowed to go through to the best in group competition.

the kennel club is highly involved in crufts....the problem is the breed standards and the breeders that are breeding for looks that are causing problems for certain breeds. there are many breeds that are active and healthy

yeah, you're right - we should just rely on puppy farms for our dogs :rolleyes:

lol

if you look at a dog bred for working and a dog bred for showing you will see which is the healthy one. Nobody mentioned puppy farms i think they should scrap the KC and go back to breeding healthy dog but i'm sure you dont agree with that do you!!!:rolleyes:

yeah, you're right - we should just rely on puppy farms for our dogs :rolleyes:

pmsl.

Weren't there some dogs that won Best of Breed that couldn't be entered into Best in Show because the independant vets wouldn't give them the all clear? The breeders have a couple of generations to comply to the 'healthy standards' rule. (I may be misinformed - please correct me if I am))

I don't get dog showing, I see these people looking all proud and happy to have won 'yay my dog conforms best to a written list of physical traits'. Wow... so? I can't imagine why that would matter to anyone :confused:

QUOTE]

The Kennel Club has these lists to try to ensure that breeders only breed from 'healthy' stock. My great danes are show standard and are extremely healthy animals. That's why you are supposed to have hip scores done before breeding and eye tests. there are different tests that a breeder should do for different breeds to try and avoid the problems they are prone to like bad hip in gsds and bad eyes in cockers and heart problems in ckcs.

its not crufts or the KCs fault that there are these problems in breeds, it's back yard breeders IMO.

People should look at the dogs family tree before buying a pup. for exmple, my cocker has a 'spaniel eye' which she can't really see out of. it has deformed blood vessels, a smaller eye ball which causes the eyelid to droop and dry out, a bad lense and other things I cant even remember what the vet said. this dog would never win a show because of this so surely that is helping to breed out these problems?

the problems lie with back yard breeders and people who buy from them IMO.