If you buy a VM V+ Box yourself..

Darth Vader

This could be nothing to do with cable service. I know for a Sky box (not Sky plus) it has only one wire from the dish and when you upgrade a normal box to a Sky + they have to run another cable from the LNB on the dish. I would guess that isn't needed for V/ V+ because it's cable and wouldn't need the extra feed for two tuners.

My OH works for VM in the customer relations department and he doesn't think a box swap would work (he doesn't know about the V+/V feed) he said that VM pair each box to an account and they will not work on another account, apparently they get people calling to activate boxes bought on Ebay who end up threatening to cancel because they will only do it for the £49 fee and supply a new box.

Just like all contracts are now 18 or 24 months rather than the standard 12. They have you over a barrel.

Maybe initially, but it's surprising how flexible they can be when you are free to move and you ring up to say "I'm fed up with paying £xxx and I'm thinking of moving".

Last year I negotiated 40% off what I was paying, provided I agreed to 12 months.

It does annoy me though, that utility companies, banks and insurance companies all take advantage of their customer's inertia in their pricing.

Will it work if you swap it for an ordinary box? Do you need to upgrade your service for it to work? I have a V+ box and want to replace my other box with a V+ one too. Could I do that with one I bought second-hand? Is it a case of just swapping it over?

Thanks in advance.

all you do is phone virgin say you want to upgrade to v+ they give box for free did us anyway you just pay for the v+ subscription virgin own boxes you rent them unlike sky where you buy it

Thanks, shinyhappy68. Do you know whether the V+ subscription will just work for the one box I already have, or should it work if I replace my second standard box with a V+? thanks.

You might need the card that slots on the back of box for it to work, but don't think it's any extra cost. I'm just going on the fact I have V+ box but downgraded subscription to standard tv when money got bit tight :(. We still have box but not benefits of V+. Xx

You might need the card that slots on the back of box for it to work, but don't think it's any extra cost. I'm just going on the fact I have V+ box but downgraded subscription to standard tv when money got bit tight :(. We still have box but not benefits of V+. Xx

Do you just lose the HD channels and the ability to record?

Do You still get the TV on demand (replay) programmes?

We use the latter, but not the former.

all v+ boxes need to have a code on your acc to function and every box has a smart card inserted in the box.

the 75 quid installation fee ive never heard of maybe a £49.95 but you could arrange a quickstart where vm post the box to you and you install it yourself all boxes have to be coded in for you t be able to access channels/on demand etc....

hope this helps :)

Just like all contracts are now 18 or 24 months rather than the standard 12. They have you over a barrel.

they only have you 'over a barrel' to the extent that you want cable TV. Its not electricity where you are truly locked into a uncompetitive market, there are free alternatives!