So how much time does it take to look after a cat?

magsie

I am so saddened, not to mention angry, at the number of people who try to get rid of their cats on forums free to a good home, mostly very old, because of so called work commitments. Bearing in mind that older cats sleep most of the time, I can only assume our throw-away society assumes that old means worthless.

I look at previous posts to see if they are genuine, Olive, in which case I will try to network for a good home for the cat but believe me most owners are not spending prolonged or regular periods away from home working, as the majority mention nightly visits to local pubs, cinema, bingo. Rescues receive so many requests like this every week and it is so sad.

We see it all too often even on this super forum. I worry what happens to old animals once owners realise there really is no 'Free to Good Home' solution.

My kitten is now 7 months old and shes a piece of cake to look after!!!! All she does is play / sleep / eat & toilet! dont have to watch them for messing in the house, If your going out they dont cry or bark :/ The older they get the even easier they become! Cats are perfect animals for people who work etc, im not saying its ok for them to be left for hours and hours and days etc but whilst im at work im not worrying about her being upset or crying.....Unlike the puppy ;)

I am so saddened, not to mention angry, at the number of people who try to get rid of their cats on forums free to a good home, mostly very old, because of so called work commitments. Bearing in mind that older cats sleep most of the time, I can only assume our throw-away society assumes that old means worthless.

I agree Magsie its just seems to be an excuse :( probably more like the cost involved especially as they get older. In my experience cats are so easy to look after they practically look after themselves :)

Mine are shorthaired, have a cat flap and eat dry food so as a minimum all they need is 5 mins a day to check them, fill their food bowl and exchange their water.

I suppose if 'work commitments' meant regular trips away from home for a few nights that would be different. Even then most cats with access to a flap and with a big bowl and food and water will be fine left for a couple of days.

Lets just hope the latest free, old cat doesn't end up as fighting dog bait to some scummy person :mad:

I have 2 cats and theyre indoor ones which i think takes more looking after due to litter trays ect.I dont agree they would be fine for a couple of days with a cat flap, a big bowl of water and food,the cats would eat it in the first day then have nothing left.

Whenever i go away i have a pet sitter at the cost of £6.00 per day with 2 visits i wouldnt dream of leaving them maybe just for 1 night at a push without anyone looking after them

I completely agree Magsie, and getting rid of cats as 'no time due to new baby' makes me mad too. Personally, I think if you have animals then you should take responisbility for them for their entire lives. I used to work as an Ecologist, travelling around the country doing surveys and staying overnight with the occasional full week away. It's what my degree is in and what I'm trained in. But as much as I loved it, I now have dogs to care for and would not take a job doing that again. I love my animals more than any possible career I could have. (Luckily, I love my current job and it fits around my dogs perfectly.)