Do you smack your kids ?

Why not just have like an electric shock machine rigged to your kid and then you can just press a button to give them the pain to associate with doing wrong. Surely in this modern age with all the gadgets this would save anyone the time of actually talking explaining and spending time on issues regarding behaviour.

I also dont swear in front of my kids and they seem to be doing alright with out both

Sure, hitting a child just teaches that child that they can get their own way by hitting a smaller / weaker person by physically / mentally hurting them. Neither myself or my Sister has been hit during our childhood.

Thats what I said?

Edited by chorba

same old same old just as i expected on here - I was 'clipped' as a kid, I have NEVER hit out at anyone smaller than me or indeed anyone bigger than me, and I am living proof of that....

Just for the record I used to handfeed my kids when they were little and buy them things like mega drives and bmx's....now they are grown up and guess what ?.....they never go up to smaller kids handfeeding them or buy them bmx's or xbox's !!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by chorba

i've never had cause to hit my kids, a stern word always sufficed. now that they're young adults they give me more grief than when younger so if i was to smack them they'd probably hit me back but twice as hard!

Not knowing how to use a knife and a fork is not comparable to crossing the road without looking.

It is. You want said child to learn an important skill. Is "life and death" the only context where smacking can be defended?

It's up to the parents to decide when to hit their children (if they hit them).

Up to a point. I can't settle on a solid ban on smacking. To say "it is 100% wrong all the time" is beyond me. I can say it is wrong in most cases. It is brutality.

No, I dont agree with it.

I was smacked a few times when I was youngerby my mum (never my dad), and I remember many of the occassions- wasnt particulary hard- but I remember it. And it didnt actually make me think about what I'd done- I think my mum had just lost control herself.

I remember a couple of times when I was between 12-15- and although I think I deserved it, maybe if she'd spoken to me differently/sorta shown she was 'in charge' i'd have probably respected her enough not have been so gobby in the first place, rather than just shutting up/silently cursing her when she'd lost it.

that said, there's 10 years between me and my youngest sister- and I know my mums probably never hit her- as one of the other posts said, I think it was the done thing once..

Never harmed me, but dont thnik it taught me not to do whatever it was I did

An incredibly emotive issue, Where does one draw the line?. Personally I think slapping is ok within reason and only to discipline I will be using it should the need arise.

Never smacked them, never slapped them - just taken time to talk to them and explain what they've done wrong and then asked them if they understand.

Takes longer than hitting them would, but it's worth the time and effort.

An incredibly emotive issue, Where does one draw the line?. Personally I think slapping is ok within reason and only to discipline I will be using it should the need arise.
As a medical practioner, do you really think using physical punishments against little children is a good thing? It don't think it teaches them anything, except that getting caught leads their 'loving' parents to inflict pain on them.

It's a different thing with adolescents, you should be almost obliged to slap the smirk off their faces. :P

JK!!!