Do you smack your kids ?

Saw on BBC earlier a tory lady MP and an outrageous 'lefty' type with the customary bright red hair arguing over the issue of giving your kids a 'clip'

the tory MP was saying it was ok to give your kids a slap if they walked into the road without looking etc to teach them not to do it again, to let them know it was wrong.........

Then this nutter pipes up raging with stuff like 'it's illegal to brutalise your children in this way' - then went onto claim that the police had been terrorising places like Tottenham for years and that was to blame for last years riots - not a lack of basic discipline in the home from an early age etc, anybody else see it ? what a total utter crackpot she was, I was quite alarmed, power to the people and all that haha

To be fair, isn't hitting someone usually a good way to teach someone not to do something again?

If I hit a guy who knocks my pint over to teach him not to do it again, is that right?

I see no difference with hitting kids to be honest.

If you want to teach it not to do something again, just say "Don't do that again, you might get crushed by a fire engine next time"

Something like that.

Edited by Forumosaurus

What has smacking to do with disclipline? What reason would anyone have for slapping a child for walking into the road? How would it teach them not to do it again? :huh:

If I slapped every idiot who wanders into the traffic because they're reading a text or yapping on their mobile, I'd have a very sore palm.

If I slapped every idiot who wanders into the traffic because they're reading a text or yapping on their mobile, I'll have a very sore palm.

Yes, but wouldn't it make you feel better:D

If they stepped onto the road (due to a no fault of your own) and a car missed them by an inch at 40 mph, your heart almost misses a beat and you're legs buckle would your first reaction be - 'well thats you on the naughty step for ten minutes when you get in ? come along jeremy !!!!

I think you should explain why they shouldn't do something and if they continue to misbehave then the naughty spot works a treat (obviously in the stepping out in the road situation that's not practical but for home discipline it works). No need for any form of violence to kids. There are many ways to discipline effectively without striking out. To teach that hitting is OK leaves a very difficult issue of then telling them off when they hit someone else..... got to keep consistent messages.

If they stepped onto the road (due to a no fault of your own) and a car missed them by an inch at 40 mph, your heart almost misses a beat and you're legs buckle would your first reaction be - 'well thats you on the naughty step for ten minutes when you get in ? come along jeremy !!!!

If you have young kids in your care, then it is absolutely your fault if they step into the road.

Maybe you should slap yourself.

Saw on BBC earlier a tory lady MP and an outrageous 'lefty' type with the customary bright red hair arguing over the issue of giving your kids a 'clip'

the tory MP was saying it was ok to give your kids a slap if they walked into the road without looking etc to teach them not to do it again, to let them know it was wrong.........

Then this nutter pipes up raging with stuff like 'it's illegal to brutalise your children in this way' - then went onto claim that the police had been terrorising places like Tottenham for years and that was to blame for last years riots - not a lack of basic discipline in the home from an early age etc, anybody else see it ? what a total utter crackpot she was, I was quite alarmed, power to the people and all that haha

I saw her too and she was quite aggressive, no-one was talking about riots or Tottenham and she twisted the argument, personally I never smacked mine but I did hear the woman at the back of my house shouting a lot so I er raised my voice instead