Google privacy policy changes- will it make you boycott Google?

mrth

I've been using DuckDuckGo on and off for some time. Not because I'm paranoid about Google or anything, but just because I believe in strong choice and options for the user. Monopolies are no use to any of us imho. I'm finding that DDG is improving all the time, and I imagine the more people use it the better it will become. Give it a shot.

ive just had a nosey at that, bit cheeky tho to become an "alternative" to google / bing...........they have to use options to search google / bings image searchs lol

That's because under the new system there won't be a need to - the way I see it going is it's 'Organised PHORM' without the ISP as go-between!:hihi::hihi::hihi:

I thought it was only Virgin Media that was considering implementing targeted advertising via Phorm.

Bob

Before you do more research for "the software that shall not be named" I ask you this.

How do you think websites like this one stay online? Without the ads the revenue stream has gone and down goes the site. There aren't many site owners who do it "for the love" and end up out of pocket to provide such a service.

It would be nice if you could have ads without being tracked though.

I thought it was only Virgin Media that was considering implementing targeted advertising via Phorm.

BT ran (illegal) trials. Virgin Media and Talk Talk were talking to Phorm and waiting to see how the trials went. When BT got into trouble Talk Talk announced they wouldn't implement such a system. VM got cold feet as well but, as far as I know, have never said they wouldn't implement a Phorm like system.

I was being sarcastic towards Google - they will control the horizontal, they will control the vertical - your internet spider's web becomes their domain - and they can fly in anytime and not get caught! As for other postings about TT (TalkTalk) a lot of suspicion of PHORM has been laid at their 'HomeSafe' software which I refuse to sign up to.

Edited by swarfendor43

I was being sarcastic towards Google - they will control the horizontal, they will control the vertical - your internet spider's web becomes their domain - and they can fly in anytime and not get caught! As for other postings about TT (TalkTalk) a lot of suspicion of PHORM has been laid at their 'HomeSafe' software which I refuse to sign up to.

You mean StalkStalk. They are still launching what are effectively replay attacks on web sites their customers visit.

Its crazy that they are doing things like this as its the same principle as tapping someones phone.

URLs do not just contain the addresses to the site, they often also contain form submissions too which at the very least means they are logging things like what you searched on Google.

At least Google are logging data already aimed at their servers, which is arguably a right they have as the server operator.

However people do forget that by accessing a site you are bound by their rules (at least those rules which are legally binding, they often put things in there which actually aren't legally enforceable). If you disagree you shouldn't use it and if you outright break the rules you are technically breaking the law. You are only authorised to use the network in accordance with the rules and if you disobey its the same as using it without permission, hence illegal.

At no point however does using an ISP give them the right to snoop on what you are doing, unless they are totally clear up front that they are doing so. There is an expectation of privacy just like you do not expect someone to be listening in on your phone calls.

Edited by AlexAtkin