Jobs: Are there any?

As we reported last week, there are jobs out there, but just not enough for the 2.6 million out of work :(

Tough times, but we wish you good luck.

Have we ever had full employment?

Well I've just seen a lovely job working on the emergency dept reception at the Childrens hospital the catch being the successful candidate is employed on a zero hours contract.

I was told at the job centre that lots of employers are going that route and not committing to a set amount of hours for its staff -

great for budgeting for the household that isn't it. :roll:

Yes. Adam and Eve were jointly responsible for looking after a tree a long time ago; a relatively simple task you'd have thought given that there were only the two of them but oh no, Adam soon put paid to that cushy number, div.

There are but they are scraping the bottom type jobs, Security guarding all night every night and shelf stacking etc.

Depends how desperate you are for the money and if you want a life outside work really.

Searching on reed.co.uk for Sheffield there are 877 jobs currently being advertised, of these 406 are in the pay range of £30 to £50K.

jb

There are jobs out there, the trouble is allot of the time and especially in this climate allot of organisations cant afford the costs involved in recruitment and advertising vacancies, so a large number of vacancies are going unadvertised. It then becomes more about who you know than what you know.

I read a statistic that %70 of entry level jobs go unadvertised because of this, and since allot of people out of work do look for entry level jobs, just to get a foot back on the ladder this makes it seem like there are none out there.

We have vacancies for skilled engineers and draughtsmen, full time and contract positions available. http://www.robson.co.uk

PM for more info.

Geo Robson & Co Ltd, Darnall

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=925842

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=925843

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=925845

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=925846

you could try pushing trolleys around the car park for Tescos..but you have to work with University Graduates, ex Skilled Engineers and ex Steelworkers and ex Tradesmen from the Building Industry and Mining. They will be joined soon by ex Civil Servants and ex Police and ex Fire Brigade cast offs That's how this country treats it skilled workers when no longer required

so does-

CV Library

All the Top Bananas

Jobsite

Indeed indexes those sites as well...

I found (from many interviews that I attended and thought I went well in) that a lot of companies will interview, because they have to advertise, then promote from within the company, or hire someone that knows someone.

I used to get angry for having my time wasted, but I looked at it as great interview experiences and the feedback I got was always positive.

Start asking people you know to hand your CV to their boss - if they are comfortable with doing so - and see how it goes. Dont hold it against people if they say no, though.

This is also good advice.. Its becoming a lot like the US in terms of the employment market - its all about WHO you know and not WHAT you know that gets your foot in the door. Having a friend or former co-worker whose moved on pass along your CV can do wonders. Though, ultimately, you do need the skills to be actually qualified to get the role.

In the 50s and 60s we imported labour from the old empire as there was a shortage of workers.

In the 50s and 60s we imported labour from the old empire as there was a shortage of workers.

lol - funnily enough, that is the same time they were offering £10 tickets to Australia.

Well I've just seen a lovely job working on the emergency dept reception at the Childrens hospital the catch being the successful candidate is employed on a zero hours contract.

I was told at the job centre that lots of employers are going that route and not committing to a set amount of hours for its staff -

great for budgeting for the household that isn't it. :roll:

No, zero hours contracts aren't great. However, there are still some jobs with proper hours. For instance, here's a 37 hour term time (39 weeks) reception job: https://jobs.sheffield.gov.uk/school_job_details.asp?VacancyID_hid=14555&NAV=S

Term time contracts are good for parents with younger school age children. Now I have grandkids, I realise how difficult (and expensive) it is to source childcare in school holidays when parents are in full-time jobs.

I think if I was still in the workplace and had children at school, I'd think about training to be a teaching assistant. There always seem to be vacancies in schools.

Yes there are, but not enough to go round.