Farmers shooting dogs

Who is to say you could deal with the farmer without a shotgun? I would have thought the latter would be easier. I would find it easier to shoot someone attacking me.

And you've had experience shooting humans? it's psychologically a very difficult thing to do, even when under duress...

Why would I be wrong on both counts?

One I could understand, but what's wrong with the notion of making people pay for damage actually caused, rather than some whim that damage might be caused..

Taking your 'reasonable force' idea.. (which blowing somebody way in a confrontation isn't btw)... if I'm walking down the street, see some dodgy looking geezer stood lurking by a lampost, you think it's acceptable that as I walk past I kick the crap out of him.. becasue he 'looked dodgy' and thought he MIGHT do me some harm...

Because if your dog has been shot, then I suspect it would not have been on a lead. There's your first wrong-doing. Secondly, you said you would be in prison if your dog was shot, which suggests you would do something against the law in retaliation of your dog's death. There's your second wrong-doing.

Talk about twisting everything I've said. You conveniently missed out the word "attack".

Neither is shooting someone

Your post never mentioned shooting anyone. It mentioned using reasonable force. In your scenario it doesn't exist, you have no rights to attack anyone.

Your dog unfortunately can be shot for running loose in a field amongst livestock.

And you've had experience shooting humans? it's psychologically a very difficult thing to do, even when under duress...

I am trained to use firearms and yes, I would be able to shoot someone, even under duress. I might not find it easy to live with afterwards, but if it mean't protecting myself against someone raving idiot who wanted to cause me serious harm, then so be it.

Because if your dog has been shot, then I suspect it would not have been on a lead. There's your first wrong-doing. Secondly, you said you would be in prison if your dog was shot, which suggests you would do something against the law in retaliation of your dog's death. There's your second wrong-doing.

Talk about twisting everything I've said. You conveniently missed out the word "attack".

I haven't twisted anything you've said.. and not convienently missed out anything either.

As for the wrong doing... that would land me a spell at HMP I'd be perfectly fine with that.

As for the dog not being on a lead.. perhaps as in the OP' it slipped it's lead, broke free or whatever? Perhaps the farmer should take some better responsibility for fencing his field?

Neither is shooting someone

No but shooting an animal is and be it dog, wolf, tiger, lion, the method of dealing with it is to kill it not try and scare it away.

I wonder how people with your train of thought would react to someone entering their house unannounced. Unthinkable violence has been the general concensus on posts that I've read. Face it, we do what we do with no consideration for animals on a daily basis, shooting one means nothing.

I haven't twisted anything you've said.. and not convienently missed out anything either.

As for the wrong doing... that would land me a spell at HMP I'd be perfectly fine with that.

As for the dog not being on a lead.. perhaps as in the OP' it slipped it's lead, broke free or whatever? Perhaps the farmer should take some better responsibility for fencing his field?

Why should the farmer take responsibility for other's lack of responsibility?

I am trained to use firearms and yes, I would be able to shoot someone, even under duress. I might not find it easy to live with afterwards, but if it mean't protecting myself against someone raving idiot who wanted to cause me serious harm, then so be it.

Well in your case I probably would end up in hospital, and you'd have some explaining to do.. that is unless you're police who pretty much get away with shooting anybody and anything. But the farmer I think not, I don't think they're all such steeley eyed killers..