Why do some people talk posh on the phone?

I do not understand what you mean?I think my sons are very clear spakers,sound Yorkshire but go to a local comprehensive.Why bring in the private sector?Do they speak a different language at such schools?

My question was in response to qnvqsos post re. McMillan.

David Blunkett and other MP's are examples of retaining their local accents.

My question was in response to qnvqsos post re. McMillan.

David Blunkett and other MP's are examples of retaining their local accents.

Yes, they have retained their accent, but have done away with the "slang".

Yes, they have retained their accent, but have done away with the "slang".

What slang?

I speak posh in front of me nan so she thinks I'm a polite well mannered young man. I'm me the rest of the time hth

What slang?

If you refer back to the OP, there is a quotation using slang. There's a difference between accent and the use of slang. I think the OP is mixing the two up.

I talk with a Yorkshire accent, however, I have been brought up to speak correctly, not using lazy slang phrases. I don't see this as posh.

Edited by Agent Orange

If you refer back to the OP, there is a quotation using slang. There's a difference between accent and the use of slang. I think the OP is mixing the two up.

I talk with a Yorkshire accent, however, I have been brought up to speak correctly, not using lazy slang phrases. I don't see this as posh.

Agree wholeheartedly with this. Accents are a rich part of our heritage, colourful and many almost force you to listen to them.

No one is asking for them to be hidden away or disguised in general but to unfamiliar ears they make understanding very difficult so it's common sense that they be softened in environments where clarity is important.

Personally I think English as a language is beautiful and with so many countries speaking it with their own twang makes it more so.

What I find slightly annoying are people that write how they speak. When did it become acceptable to write so poorly, it's common even on SF, when for example did 'a lot' become alot, in fact reduced to 'infact.'

My friend is from Sheffield, he was born and bred here and lived here for 35 years. About 12 years ago he went to live in Switzerland and comes back to see his parents at Christmas. This year he asked why is Sheffield full of cockneys?

I wasn't privately educated nor attended an elite college or university, however, I was brought up to speak correctly. In my opinion, you don't have to sacrifice your accent in favour of talking correctly.

You are so right-lazy speech is insulting to the recipient.

You are so right-lazy speech is insulting to the recipient.

Much like lazy writing.

I contend that people with broad accents tend to try to "lighten" them a little , when they are attempting to be posh.

That's your contention, but is there actually any evidence that speaking with a less pronounced accent is an attempt to be posh? Or is that just the way you perceive things?

There seems to be a fashion of people pronouncing the sound H in words that just shouldn't be there.