Why do some people talk posh on the phone?

Some people who would normally talk really broad Yorkshire go all "namby pamby" sounding when they answer the phone. Why do they put a silly pretend posh voice on like Mrs Bucket used to? Why not just be yourself and pick the phone up and say "What's tha want cocker":)

Because they think they're better than what they are

Because they think they're better than what they are

So better people talk posher?:huh:

It is annoying but, people alter their voices depending on which social situation they're in at that time, and I guess there's not a lot wrong with that, it's a natural reaction.

If you're going for a job interview at a call centre and you stroll in with a broad Yorkshire accent then you're not going to get the job, you need to posh up.

If you posh up whilst walking past a group of chavs on the phone, they'll rob your wallet.

It's just the way human nature works and most people do it, however annoying it is, it's just how humans are init.

Different people respond differently to different types of communication, so if you can manipulate the situation in your favour by pretending that you have a posher accent than you do then go for it.

Don't tell me on a first date you'd speak the exact same as you would if you were with all your boys down Bramall lane? Not going to happen.

So better people talk posher?:huh:

They probably think they do ... not really sure what a better person is BTW

My other half hates using the phone for some reason but when he has to it is funny, he doesn't use an affected voice or anything he just says the callers name over and over.

e.g. Right Fred, 8 o'clock Fred, okay Fred see you then Fred, bye Fred. Sometimes I just can't help myself but I have to say was that Fred?

It is annoying but, people alter their voices depending on which social situation they're in at that time, and I guess there's not a lot wrong with that, it's a natural reaction.

If you're going for a job interview at a call centre and you stroll in with a broad Yorkshire accent then you're not going to get the job, you need to posh up.

If you posh up whilst walking past a group of chavs on the phone, they'll rob your wallet.

It's just the way human nature works and most people do it, however annoying it is, it's just how humans are init.

Different people respond differently to different types of communication, so if you can manipulate the situation in your favour by pretending that you have a posher accent than you do then go for it.

Don't tell me on a first date you'd speak the exact same as you would if you were with all your boys down Bramall lane? Not going to happen.

So, to attempt to take everything that you said on board. You are saying that each person is not comprised of one individual, with one character and one personality. We are all infact far more complex than that and can change our actions, reactions and perhaps personalities according to the situation that we find ourselves in?:huh:

So, to attempt to take everything that you said on board. You are saying that each person is not comprised of one individual, with one character and one personality. We are all infact far more complex than that and can change our actions, reactions and perhaps personalities according to the situation that we find ourselves in?:huh:

Yeah I think I made that pretty clear.

They probably think they do ... not really sure what a better person is BTW

Better people come from all walks of life. It does not matter how they speak. It is the way that they are and the things that they do that distinguishes them from the others.The late Jimmy Savile was a good example of what a better person is.

Edited by Hushai

Yeah I think I made that pretty clear.

Hmmmm.....I thought that that was almost the definition of a mental disorder?

Hmmmm.....I thought that that was almost the definition of a mental disorder?

Of course not, example:

Men at a football match "PASS HIM THE BALL YOU <removed>

Men at the shop:

"Hi could you show me where the blue top milk is please =)?"

Do you now see how that adopting either one of these different levels of communication would have been inappropriate if swapped around?

Edited by Ms Macbeth
swearing

Why not just be yourself and pick the phone up and say "What's tha want cocker":)

I tried that when I worked in the call centre but it did not go down too well.