What Primary School Did you go to?

Firs hill primary school!

i went to southey green,best teacher in the infants was miss turner,hated the headteacher miss hill,the best in the juniors was a tie between mr rann and mr senior,the teacher i hated most was mrs mcgrath

Gleadless County & Mr Slater first teacher that made an impression upon me

1953 Shirecliffe Nursery My emblem was ships wheel

1955-1957 Shirecliffe Infants Can't remember much except classrooms were huts. Think I spent 2 years there between 55-57

1957-1961 Shirecliffe Junior Remember Mrs Halifax (aka Mrs Battleaxe) Headmistress. Miss or Mrs Bee and Mr Mumby. Can't remember house names but seem to recall wearing a blue badge. Anyone remember house names.

Do remember board with flying spaceships, on curtain wires, to count the house points though.

Last year there ended up as deputy head boy (60-61). Made my family proud, but can't recall what the position entailed, except meeting a few visiting dignitaries.

1961-1965 Shirecliffe Secondary. It may have changed name to Shirecliffe High about 63.

Some names to recall

Mr Robinson (Robbo) Headteacher

Bill and Alf Thomas (Welsh gits)

Mr Sanderson (think he may have been a leek muncher too)

Harry Altass? Metalwork teacher famed for handing pupils black hot pieces of metal, I still laugh.

Mr Staley woodwork and splinters.

Gordon Hobson sportsmaster and a decent footballer.

Can't remember the name of the guy who was a good cricketer but he sparked a lifelong interest in the game for me. Old brain cells say Middleton.

Bill Green, Sadly passed away after my first term. Nowt to do wiv me honest. He did smoke heavily I recall.

Miss Grundy replaced him for the rest of the first year. Her more famous brother sometimes brought or collected her from school. Dave Berry the Sheffield "Pop Star"

Mr Hurst he taught in a hut not the main brick building.

Ena Wright english teacher

Mrs Watson. She once tried to "beat" me for some misdemeanour, but me and the whole class roared with laughter as she was 5 foot nothing and I was a burly 6 foot 4.

Eventually made prefect, one of about 12 who policed the school for the teachers. Most probs we resolved without going to the the teachers and I think most pupils liked this approach even if there was a little physical intimidation applied sometimes.

Australia (mine) yellow

Canada blue

New Zealand green

South Africa red

were the houses

I left July 65 to work on the railway. Only did 4 months (Time of Dr Beeching)

Went on to work 45 years in the steel industry

First at Daniel Doncasters then British Steel - Corus -:D Tata Steel. Same firm different names.

61 now got made redundo last year, guess there's only scrapheap and sheff forums left.

Anns road, in the early 70`s, sound school and area, tillotson road, outside toilets, tin bath in front of coal fire, scrapeing ice from inside of bedroom window, what happy day`s.

Remember sneaking into the boarded up air raid shelters alonside Shirecliffe Junior school in the 50's. It was rumoured the shelters were haunted. Very believable to a 7 year old.

I went to Shooters Grove school but cant remember the teachers. Cant believe what good memories everyone has!

i went to the sacred heart hillsboro many moons ago. Favorite teachers were Mrs Simmerson and Sister Mary Rose.

I went to Wisewood too - I remember Mr Green, was a top bloke, and Mr Ellis and Mrs Gillot and Mr Thornsby

Was Mr Thornsby the one with the guitar? And Mr Green was a published author?

Ditto - I went to Springfield Juniors School.... Happy days:D

Mr Wareham (PE teacher) was ace, he even named his son after my twin and I! He drove a wicked MG too...

Also liked Mrs Ford (Art Teacher), she was a complete hippy!

Nasty piece's of work were Mrs Raw and Mr Minihan - bullies!:mad::loopy:

AHHHH, yeah I went to Springfield Infants and Juniors, cant remember much about the Infants, only I think Mrs Lydamore was the Headmistress then, Mr Carter was the Headmaster in the Juniors.

Mrs Kay was nice, but I had both Mrs Raw AND Mr Minihan as teachers, ooh, and the way Mr Minihan used to clap his hands together and rub them (like it was cold!!) Scary times!!

That was back in the late 70's before I went up into Silverdale.

Wasn't Mr Warehams car an MGB GT, in blue iirc?? very nice car!!