Strike Action - Public Service - 30th November

Can I not just ask a very simple question.......(but carries on later)

If the economy is so bad and the pension scheme looking like a waste of money, why aren't people just pulling out of the pension scheme, NHS one freezes If I remember rightly from when I worked there and just save it /invest it,

is it not such a mad thought that 20--30--40 years down the road the government turn around and say " you know what guys, we aren't paying you any of the pension you earned, because we need it or its been lost or something else just as mad as what they are suggesting with the pensions right now.

what big thing will happen then? Riots? Protests .... either way you still haven't got your money and they win.

I will never ever trust the Government/Banks with my savings/pension as they never have your best interests at heart.

I might not make 1.5%AER but at least when it all goes tits up i can go to my "box under the bed" and get my money out.

These banks and pension schemes are only there because you pay in. but you as a customer have no say on the direction or input from the higher powers that be.

Final point...I don't believe that strikes of one day will ever help as the kids think it alright for another day off school, the parents, okay are put out about work, child care etc etc but it's only for one day so hey ho.

this isn't a statement its just a nuisence, but total respect for trying

Futile waste of time, today will come and go and nothing will have changed (apart from the bill that needs to be picked up) grow up and get back to work dummies!

I saw them marching, it was a Goose step!!!

Well, in context, I understand the opportunity is there. Always was, and still is.

Indeed, but the argument is often rolled out that "well I don't have a pension scheme at work so nobody else should either". I find the attitude of wishing ill to others rather sad, hence the comment. Many private sector employees have been thoroughly done over in what they thought were secure pension schemes.

my boyfriends mum is protesting today shes a teacher and shes going to lose 100pound of her pay a month if this dosnt get sorted.

Indeed, but the argument is often rolled out that "well I don't have a pension scheme at work so nobody else should either".
The same can be said of the counter-argument that "if you want as good a pension as mine why don't you negotiate with your employer/strike/find another job". Easier (soo much easier) said than done.

The issue isn't denigrating public sector workers a pension.

The main problem is that public sector pensions, if contributions, retirement age, etc. are all left 'as is', are completely unsustainable in the medium term (I understand, from 2020 onwards :huh:). Short of a big war or comparable large extinction event to 'trim down the numbers' (of potential retirees). It's simple maths.

The second, lesser problem, but which goes some way to explain the sort of (ill-conceived, but emotionally understandable) arguments you refer to, is that the private sector has been eating its sh*t sandwich for a few years now and yet still paying its way (by and large there is still about a million excess active public service jobs), and the public sector is still not perceived as doing its bit to help sort out the mess, just free-floating along.

When it's being asked to do something, heckles are instantly raised and arguments bandied that it's a race to the bottom. The private sector has had no choice in the race to the bottom: emerging countries (mostly BRIC) are driving it. Compete commercially (and therefore race) or don't (and therefore die, make employees redundant, stop paying tax). As posted by many already, it's not a question of "rising" the private sector terms to those of the public sector (international competition won't allow it), it's a question of all -private and public- recognising and accepting that their aspirations have to be toned down awhile. Hopefully not forever (but I'm not sure about that).

Edited by L00b

The issue isn't denigrating public sector workers a pension.

With respect, although you haven't gone down that line, denigrating public sector workers is a tactic used by others on this thread.

I agree that an honest evaluation needs to be made; in fact, I'd like to see a bit of honesty from the government all round with regard to the economy. Let's have all the facts, let's get the pension schemes valued, let's look at exactly where the money is coming in and going out without scare tactics and mudslinging.

I don't think anyone disagrees that the economy - not just in this country but elsewhere - is in an extremely bad place. We can try and behave like grown ups, get the facts, and work out how the pain is going to be shared so that everyone takes their share of the burden and how we can best get the country out of its current state, or we can go down the confrontational, divisive route of pitting one set of workers against another.

Loob. the aspirations of the banking class and financial sector don't seem to have been toned down much. Rather that criticising organised labour why don't fellow workers support each other and apportion blame to where it should be ? The banking/financial sector caused the current financial crisis but I don't see you criticising them. Obviously as people are living longer everybody should acknowledge the necessity of working longer. I have worked in the Public Sector for 34 years and accept the risks which come with my chosen career, physical assault etc. I've never been particularly money orientated. If you choose to go into a profession/job with inherent risks such as unemployment but with the added bonus of potentially high financial remuneration then you shouldn't decry those in the public sector when they try to protect their standard of living. Lets not be naive here this is a neo-liberal ideological assault on the state by a small but powerful establishment , epitomised by Eton Bullingdon boy Cameron who's quite happy to cosy up to the devil (News International) to protect his class interest.

Well Monkey Business and Mcdonalds were doing a roaring trade with parents who unable to work, lost a days pay and then paid out for other things to fill the day.

This silly argument that the public sector workers cannot be replaced is silly. In the private sector, when an employee takes and new job, the new person who replaces this person has to hit the ground running and in almost all cases, does as good a job as the persone before.

OK, I accept your little protest today, please don't do it again.

If on the other hand this is to be a frequent event, we seriously need to be using the ever growing numbers on the unemployment dole queue to replace these workshy layabouts.

There are many heavily qualified people out of work who could easily fill the shoes of the strikers

, epitomised by Eton Bullingdon boy Cameron who's quite happy to cosy up to the devil (News International) to protect his class interest.

No different to some of the Labour politicians then?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2020486/Senior-Labour-politicians-mixed-News-International-bosses-TWO-DAYS-Milly-Dowler-hacking-allegations-surfaced.html

http://news.sky.com/home/politics/article/16040416

http://www.scotsman.com/news/labour_reveals_murdoch_and_news_international_links_1_1775341

They are all as bad as each other...

. Any further use of foul language, insults or abuse will result in suspensions. Keep it civil please.